Toyota Hilux 2003 V6 3.4lt

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 13:46
ThreadID: 93005 Views:18536 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have some good ideas on how to get more power and economy out of these V6s.

If so also where to purchase the parts.

Thanks

Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 15:18

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 15:18
The answer I'm going to give you is probable the one you don't want to hear....

Sell it and buy a diesel.

The 3.4 V6's are a good engine and some love them and others hate them, there is no real way of getting much more performance and better economy cheaply..... you can do the exhaust with extractors, fit a better filter, run lighter engine oil and fit a snorkel but at the end of the day you might spend a few $$$$ and get very little improvement.

If you want better performance turbo or super charge or both but don't expect much change out of $10,000.
AnswerID: 482318

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 16:52

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 16:52
Very broad question. Have you fitted larger than standard tyres? if so changing your diff ratios will corect the gearing for the car and your power range will be back to original. I have the V6 auto with an open exhaust and a KN fillter and have changed out my diff ratios to get back to the normal rev range. The electronics including the speed sensors in the auto are now happy and the car runs well.

Not sure what you need the extra power for as the motor has good KW and NM for what it is.

Next thing you can do is change out the engine management from a Prado as the Hilux motor was de-tuned.

From there a supercharger.

I tow a 16' caravan with mine it drinks a bit but sits on the legal limits with no issues.

Craig
AnswerID: 482322

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:38

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:38
lux also had a 'shorter' intake plenum than the prado - hence the tune differences. They simply couldn't fit it under the bonnet.

Change to prado engine management will yield better results with a body lift and a prado intake.

You're kidding if you think a diesel will even get close to a 5vz, much less a tuned one.

TRD have a part number for a bolt on supercharger and a 7th injector system. Apparently if you put a brick under the accelerator pedal, it can yield some economy gains, but hell a 14 second hilux shouldn't be babied ;)

I had one for 6 years, all sorts of mods - fire away with any questions.

Link to random 5vz clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr13OB2P65c

FollowupID: 757558

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:21
Is it using more than before? If it is a 3.4 then it will be at least 7 years old, start with injector servicing and new plug leads
AnswerID: 482323

Reply By: Wok - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 18:07

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 18:07
@Michael

I moved to 95 octane ULP...got better economy & performance [subjective observation:)]

eng hoe
AnswerID: 482327

Follow Up By: Michael A10 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:05

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:05
Have used higher octane fuel before and had a good result.I wanted to know what sort of fuel # you are getting.

Have also found a site were the big air chamber on the intake tube between the air cleaner and the air flow valve was removed. It goes onto say that you get a better throttle response with this small mod.

On another site they had fitted a supercharger and found the normal air filter config with the elbow in the guard from the air cleaner removed, produced more hp than after market filter on a dyno.

Thanks for your replies

Michael
FollowupID: 757565

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:21
Unifilter air filter. Alter intake so it is more direct to filter.

Use a full synthetic oil of good quality/brand.

Use full sythetic oil where aplicable in gbox if manual trans and transfer case and diffs but not on limited diffs.

Use the highest octane fuel you can afford, many recent engines test the fuel and when knock is sensed they sit the timing just under knock point so advance is optimum.

A free flowing exhaust will help. lots of options here though, lots of money involved here, may never get it back in fuel saved. Perhaps get rid of unnecessary mufflers/more direct.

Treat the fuel system with some injector cleaner and if no difference professional clean may be useful.
Use std profile tyres not big ones.

Have you had the valve clearances checked recently or ever. If the engine has done a few km then they might be getting out of whack and not all opening and closing vvalves in sync with other cylinders and intake and exhaust pulses will not be flowing as designed.

Drive as though your bank managers hand is between the boot and pedal.

You should be considering these sorts of things a long time before turbos /superchargers / extractors/ exhaust system etc
AnswerID: 482333

Sponsored Links