Simpson Desert late May early June

Hi All

I did the crossing in 2010 during school holidays going West to East and never got to do the run down the Birdsville track as the track was closed after 50 mil of rain over night whilst we where in Birdsville, this forced us to go into Charleville and head down the Barrier Highway back to Adelaide

So this year there is a group of us heading across the desert in late May to early June heading East to West. I have a number of questions hopefully you all can assist me with.

1 - With all the rain up that way is there any water currently in Eyre Creek currently.

2 - Is there any water currently in Coopers Creek.

3 - how much traffic would the norm be for this time of the year.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:54

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:54
Vern,

I crossed the Simpson Desert in late March this year. to answer your questions,

1, Eyre Creek was bone dry

2,Can,t really say as we went down the Birdsville Track and it was dry. The ferry was not in use however there was water on both sides of the track.

3,Normally it can be busy that time of year, but this year, hard to tell.

There was water on both sides of Big Red and a detour was in place. Check at the information centre or Nat Parks in Birdsville for update.

Wayne
AnswerID: 482331

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 22:20
Hi Vern, the Cooper is 3 metres deep at Innmincka which means that the causeway is just over 1 metre under. Some of this water goes NW to Coongie Lakes and some continues on to cross the Birdsville Track. As to how much it will rise at the track by June to cover the road is the $64 question. The punt is primed and may be called into operation for an unprecedented third year running - which may be more fun to do than drive.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482347

Sponsored Links