Easter BARRA comp at Burktown and GULF road conditions

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 21:25
ThreadID: 93013 Views:1835 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good news.... the Barra comp is going ahead, the pub is in the final stages of getting a temp bar in place and all will be set for a fantastic weekend, the weather has cooled down and even camping is possible, mozzies are high at the moment but that is the norm for up here, just be prepaired .....
Please if you are up near here make a weekend out of it, well worth it .. and Burktown needs all the support they can get ......
OK now for road conditions, access from the NT via the Savannah Way is not possible at the moment, the crossings are all at least 1.2m deep and washouts everyware and it is still "leagally" closed but even that aside it is simply not possible to make it so dont try yet, give it a week and maybe it will go down....
The water around Normanton is still very high so access from that way is still shut also, the ONLY way is from Curry up to 'Burk n Wills" and head out WEST to Gregory Downs and north to Burky, Lawn Hill/Adeles Grove is open so lots to see still, it will be possible to get to Normanton from Burk n Wills but not Karumba "yet", maybe by the end of Easter it will be and what an awsome place to be for the "run-off" of Barra if you do make it ....
Cheers all and hope some can make the trip, i wont be their as we are busy here at Doomadgee.
Enjoy and DONT go on any closed roads, if in doubt ring me and i will give you any advice i can .. 07 4745 8298 (roadhouse)
Cheers
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:17

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:17
Karumba Community Anglers Classic

The KARUMBA COMMUNITY ANGLERS CLASSIC has been postponed until May Day weekend – 5th and 6th May 2012.

The comp in May will be the same event – great prize pool including $3000 cash nomination draw for Senior nominations, $6000 tagged barra prize and prize pool totalling over $25,000 with lots of Junior and Senior nomination draws across the weekend – as well as a comprehensive range of categories for Juniors and Seniors. Perpetual Trophies – Individual Trophies, Medallions for runners up and lots, lots more.

NOMINATIONS will be available FRIDAY 4th May – from 11am till 9pm at the Animal Bar – Karumba Lodge Hotel. Then again from 7am till 11am on SATURDAY 5th May.

This is a major local event and a very important Community Not For Profit Fundraiser for the Karumba Progress Association – with all nomination fees going to support the work of the Gulf Barramundi Restocking Association and the Hatchery here at Karumba. In the meantime why not consider becoming a member of the Barra Farm and support this vital restocking work – just email Kyra on barrafarm@bigpond.com to get a membership form – or find out more. They really need our support this year!

We THANK everyone for their understanding regards this postponement – particularly all our wonderful sponsors, all those who were keenly awaiting the event, all the visitors whose plans have had to change and of course our wider community.

>> All the details are available on our Karumba community website – www.karumba.qld.au..
AnswerID: 482357

Reply By: jrzoo - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:03

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:03
Thanks for the info Joe.

You really are a mine of info for that area.

Hope to be up there around the classic - will drop in.

cheers

AnswerID: 482377

Sponsored Links