detroit

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 20:40
ThreadID: 9436 Views:1601 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I have a late 99 jackaroo petrol auto.And do mostly sand driving but with some bush driving as well.I want to fit a locka to the front for better traction but not sure whether to go for a ARB air locka or if there is a Detroit soft loker available.Has anyone had experince with a soft locker in a Jackaroo?
thanks.
Markaroo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:35

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:35
Markaroo,

Is your Jack the type with shift-on-the-fly or does it have free-wheeling hubs?

If it is shift-on-the-fly, then I'd stick to the air locker. If you have the free wheeling hubs, then a Detroit locker or something similar should be fine.

However, I'd still have a preference for the air-locker anyway. I'd just like to be able to turn it off and on at my own will and not rely on the mechanicals to engage at the right time.
AnswerID: 41535

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 23:07

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 23:07
Markaroo,

I'm with Savvas on this. I lived with an ARB on the front of my GQ for about 6 years and never had a problem. Yeah it worked and pretty hard at times.

I might be old fashioned but I like to tell the car what to do and not have it tell me.

Remember you get a nice little compressor with the ARB.

Duncs
FollowupID: 304102

Reply By: markaroo - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:01

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:01
Thanks for the words of advise.
would have got back to you earlier but waz on a trip to Armadale.The Jackaroo was good on fuel consumption. 12.3L/100km.I was happy with that.
One negative did happen though.On the way home after 4 hours of driving when i went to pass a semi at about 48000rpm the engine started to surge alittle.Then the next step hill under power she started to surge alot and loose power.Then when I put the foot down the red CHECK ENGINE light came on and the reves didnt want to go over 3000rpm.Limped back to Brisbane.The Jacka is in at the local dealer getting looked at now.Computer has logged codes for fuel leaning out.The foreman there thinks maybe fuel pump or (aftermarket long range tank fitted) muck in the tank.
We had planned on going on our first trip to Fraser tomorrow.O Well These things are sent to try us.
Markaroo
AnswerID: 42091

Sponsored Links