Any recomended High Lift Jacks?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 21:33
ThreadID: 9437 Views:2270 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all, how goes it?

um, looking 2 get a high lift Jack for Betsy Cruiser & just wondering whether anyone can recommend a good one? ie, good quality & not that xpensive?

cheers in advance

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:10
good quality & not that xpensive

Funny how everyone wants top qual and pay little for them.
Your better to pay more and actually GET the good one.

Search the archives on this, it has been done before, and most are against Hi Lift Jacks.... Dangerous baskets they are.
AnswerID: 41499

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:37

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:37
well, i use a tuffstuff hilift jack and i am rapt... i use it with great ease...$145:00...
but i can lift straight under my bullbar all the way around and also i can lift under my rear bar all the way around.... conventional bars are a pain...but you can buy things that attach to your wheels to help you lift the car but a real pain in the arse if you wanna remove the wheel in question... depends on your setup whether it will be easy or hard....
PS.. and because of my side rails i can lift all down the side of my car for a recovery but i wouldnt lift there for a wheel change...___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:56

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 22:56
Hi rowen ,The 48in high lift jacks cost about $80 for the chinese made ones and about $130 for the original Hi Lift brand made I think in the US.They are an essential part of your recovery gear ,but shouldnt be relied on as an all purpose jack. If you got the room there are 60in versions as well.Trader magazines often have them 2nd hand even cheaper .Another good place is ebay and look under 4x4 access.
AnswerID: 41505

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 00:16

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 00:16
"They are an essential part of your recovery gear "

They are?? since?
FollowupID: 304038

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:07

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:07
All the reputable motoring groups and 4wd organisations recommend them (and know how to use them safely )for remote area travel
Read the others posts and youll discover that people who work on the land also will not leave home without one.In fact if you got stuck in the middle of no where and the lack of a hilift was all that was stopping you, then you would look a little silly.
FollowupID: 304052

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:10

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:10
Oh and "since" since common sense was a small lad,thats when.
FollowupID: 304053

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:25

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:25
None of the 4wd clubs im in have ever recommended them as a essential part of your recovery gear. We have basic 'Must Carry to travel on club trips' lists, no hi-lift there.

They have Demonstrated their use at training, but not 1 has said essential!

Been doing Toolangi, etc 2+ yrs, never needed one either! See lots of people carrying them though...
FollowupID: 304055

Reply By: Member - Ross - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 08:44

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 08:44
Rowen

I wouldn't be without one, but buy a U.S. product rather than el cheapo Chinese.
A lot of forumites are nervous about them but used sensibly they will extract you from spots where nothing else will ... with anything near the degree of ease.

A bottle jack under the axle in mud or sand ... leave it out. If you're hung up on rocks they're the only answer, unless you want to winch it off and drag out the rest of the under belly while you're at it.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 41519

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:09

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:09
Rowen,

I think they are part of the recovery arsenal. I agree with Truckster they can be dangerous and have found that. Have the potential to scratch parts of your truck you would not normally reach.

I bought one last year for Mothers Day, yes she was impressed with the tow hook too.

Look to see the lift capacities and the Chinese ones are not as high rated as the originals. I have a block of wood screwed to the bottom of hers to spread the load and be better on concrete floors to stop slipping. It also extends the lift a couple of inches.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 41521

Reply By: glenno - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:24

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:24
i have a hi lift jack bolted to my roofrack . its out of the way and forgotten , but if i ever need to use it its there . i wouldnt own a four wheel drive without one . got mine from arb . also got the bracket that lets you attatch it to the eyes on the front of the bullbar . (also from arb) .
AnswerID: 41524

Reply By: maverick - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:16

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:16
If you have the room to carry, the money to purchase, and the vehicle with proper jacking points then get the best one available. Then, before you actually need it, have a go and make sure you can use it in a safe manner. When used correctly they are a great piece of equipment to have. When misused they are like most things - a bit on the dangerous side (Sort of like a snatch strap really). If you are unsure of how to correctly use the jack or have never used one in the past get the person selling it to you to give a demo - just stand well clear. rgds
AnswerID: 41542

Reply By: navaraman - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 20:15

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 20:15
Look in the recovery gear of this site and they recommend them as an essential item. Nuff said. I've never used mine in an emergency, I've had practice runs with it. I may never need it but it there in case I do. Bit like the Epirb really. Buy one and hope you never need to use it.
AnswerID: 41663

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:36

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:36
DON't touch the chinese one. Pay the xtra bucks and buy the Hi-Lift model from ARB.
I have a cheap 2nd hand Chines one for sale as I've just replaced it with Hi-Lift.
Used it yesterday on a trailer axle repair job and it was superb. Was always scraed of the other one failing and it wouldn't loer due to faulty pins.
AnswerID: 42904

Sponsored Links