Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 22:51
ThreadID: 9458 Views:3627 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading all the comments on the 3.0TD Patrol's etc. and have been wondering just how bad and frequent they all are.

I am currently looking at buying one of the new GU III 3.0TD manual Patrol's and I'm not sure whether or not to buy a new one or a second hand one (due to all the apparent problems - not that new one's wouldn't develop problems - but at least you know the full history of the vehicle.)

Gearboxes letting go - this seems to be a significant problem. Is it due to the vehicle towing van's and trailers etc. for long periods in 5th gear? Or has it been happening under normal driving conditions?

Engines - are there any known problems as to why they're letting go?

Fuel Pumps - the 2003 GUIII claims to have the problems fixed. Has anyone had one with the same problems as the GUI & II Patrols?

I realise that every car has problems, I owned an 80 series Landcruiser - good car - but for the size of the engine - gutless and when I did tow a trailer - very pathetic performance overall. Fuel economy was sadly lacking. All said and done - I don't know whether a lot that is being said is coming from Toyota lovers who love bagging Nissan's or if these cars genuinely have expensive problems. . . . . After test driving the 3.0TD the performance (compared to the 80 series Landcruiser) was unbelievable. It seems to be a very well made car, sturdy, handles well on both bitumen and dirt, comfortable to drive in, plenty of room to move and for the money - the standard inclusions leave the competition for dead.

So, anyone out there owning one - I would appreciate hearing about the problems etc. you've been having - if any - and exactly what they are.

Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joshinthecity - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:02

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:02
G'day Wilson.
For what it's worth, I have a 2003 GU 3.0 Man. 31,000klm and I couldn't be happier with it. Still goes like new in every way.
1000klm to a tank, and built like a brick sh*thouse.

Josh.

AnswerID: 41604

Follow Up By: Wilson - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:16

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:16
Hi Josh

Thanks for your comment! My impression of the new Patrol when testdriving was much the same as your comment! Quite impressive. But, all the negative comments do have me concerned.

Out of curiousity, do you get 1000km out of the main tank or the main plus sub? My understanding is the fuel consumption is 10km/L - is this pretty much right from your experience?

Also, what is your opinion on the oil changes/services. Do you have yours done every 5000 or every 10000km's. Some people we have spoken to say they need to be done at 5 - then some say 10's fine. . .

Thanks again mate

Wilson

FollowupID: 304104

Follow Up By: Member - Rick - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:31

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:31
Wilson,,,,we have a feb 03 build patrol with over 65,000k on it . Bought it new and have had no real drama's except for a few small things.
1) rear door rubbers replaced due to dust ingress
2) front oil seal below harmonic balancer replaced
3)original tyres are crap for anything except bitumen, and then only about 40,000k
Thats about it really, We service every 10,000k with no dramas. The fuel consumption around the city is excellent, around 1,150k from both tanks. It tows really well, and is comforable on the long trips.
If anything you should fit a cruise-controll because the speed creeps up and you can be doing 130 b-4 you know it.
About the only other thing is to fit a snorkel, as we found that the filter would clog really quickly with dust (and mud :):) )
hope this helps.

rickahh, the joys of the great outdoors!!!
FollowupID: 304106

Reply By: joshinthecity - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:27

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 00:27
G'day
Yup.
100klm is for BOTH tanks. time after time.
I change my oil at 5k. I have been told by the dealer that 10k intervals are ok, but I like to be sure everything is in tip-top shape.
I understand the concern with the problems some have had with the EARLY models.
But I did a LOT of research and spoke to a LOT of people before handing over my money for the current series.
I am very happy with the end result.
I guess if I had lotto-money, I would have bought a 100series GXL TD.
But for $47,600 the Patrol is real value for money in my mind and I couldn't be happier. I love mine.

Josh.

AnswerID: 41607

Reply By: AndrewX - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:56

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:56
For what it's worth Wilson I would alays steer clear of a vehicle with known problems. It may cost more to buy a vehicle with a good track record but the extra cost will be reflected in the price you obtain at tradein/resale time. Even reports such as you have received this time are enough to put me off. Dust leaks, oil leaks and the question as to whether a gear box failed under normal driving or towing in 5th gear!!!! Surely towing should be regarded as within the norm for a 4wd and as for using 5th gear - the gearbox should be made so that all gears can be used without fear of failure. It can be done and IS done by some manufacturers. I have used all my gears when towing for many years without problems. Imagine crossing the Nullabor at 100km in 4th gear when you know there's another gear but you can't use it because it might fail!!!
AnswerID: 41623

Reply By: dingodigger - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:10

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:10
some interesting reading here, what I'd like to know is that before i bought my 03 3.0 td navara why didn't I see any info about its possible clutch/gearbox/engine problems in any of the 4wd mags out there, same when I read tests about the GU III (ZD30). Surely there was enough evidence out there for them (the Mags) to include info about some owners having reliability probs.So have any GUIII Patrol owners had probs with the ZD30? Same with the Navara, any 03 Navara ZD30 owners had woes?
Mine is ok so far but only has 7000k on it and it tows, and I bloody well expect it to tow in 5th no worries at all. Would'nt it be good if an engineer or chief sandwich maker from Nissan got on here and explained what has been changed on these vehicles to fix what needed it.
cheers
dd
AnswerID: 41629

Reply By: Jonesy56 - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:33

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:33
Hi Wilson,
See my problem of three days ago - If Nissan come to the party and fix the problem I will be very happy. It is a great vehicle otherwise - tows well in all gears and in all terrains i have been on in the Kimberley. This is my second 3l. The first was an '01 this is '03. I changed it so I could salary package it. I fitted it with cruise control because if you dont it will run away with you on the highway. Fuel econ is good - 100kn more that my old95 pajero diesel. But they need to solve my problem or it will be the last one I buy.
I agree with the guy who asked why the 4WD mags dont pick up these problems and put pressure on the Manufactures. Still - they would probably lose advertising revenue!
AnswerID: 41635

Reply By: brian - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 16:05

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 16:05
Hello Wilson my first gu was 2000 model sold in2002 only problem was overheating ,leaking head gasket was repaired under warrenty btw the heads are NOT machineable according to nissan and cost around $3000 also i only got 30000k from clutch Nissan would not recognise warrenty claim for this and it cost me $1000,i have read that if the flywheel and clutch plate needs replacement it costs around $4800 OUCH/// I had pressure plate tension accurately measured it turned out to be less than 50% of nissan specification,which i claimed it to slip but fell on deaf ears with nissan.

Further i traded this truck on 2002 model to get rid of antilock brakes,didnt know that you can pull the fuse to isolate abs.For me the ABS was near suicidal on dirt and when towing might be ok for you.

My current 2002 3l manual 80000k no problems BUT for my next one i might go 3l auto with rockhopper gears fitted best of both worlds,just a thought.

fuel cons mine does 8.5k per litre but weighs close to 3 tons with roofrack,water tank , winch etc,Drops to 6.5k/litre towing one tonne corromal camper at 100k but will easily go faster.

Without camper but fully loaded including roof rack it will over run redline in fifth gear approx160k cant complain about that.

Dont think i would buy either toyota or nissan with out warrenty because of huge parts prices,eg alternator$3500,cylinder head $3000,clutch around $5000,replacement 3l nissan long engine arouud $20000

Happy travels.

AnswerID: 41654

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:09

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:09
Wilson,
We have a 2000 3.0ltd auto & could'nt be happier. Just got back from a trip to Mungo N. P towing the KK & av 16 LPH over the 3000 K's, av the same on mid year trip across the Gulf Track. We now have 70000 K 's & only 2 problems. 1 Faulty air flow metre & 2 Sub tank pump both fixed under warranty also got xtended warranty when original ran out chaep insurance @ $750 for 50000k or 3 years. I hear the prob's with early models have been sorted with the 3 series.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 41657

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:10

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:10
picture looked better before i srunk it to fit.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 304121

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:16

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:16
Bob I'm glad you're happy with your vehicle but I view your situation differently --- You have only done 70000kms and you've already had 2 problems. Do you think that's acceptable? I don't.
FollowupID: 304160

Reply By: Wilson - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:14

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:14
Thanks for the comments guys , think i will just hold off buying a 3.0 l patrol for a while and just see how the series 3 patrols are holding up after 100 odd thousand on the clock.Mabye a land rover Discovery Td5 or a standard model 100 series Landcruiser with an after market turbo would be a better choice.Just after a wagon thats reliable and reasnobily economical. ,
AnswerID: 41658

Follow Up By: harry5 - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:00

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:00
Go checkout the new Pajero DiD they travel well have reasonable/excellent resale the Diesel is a car i enjoy driving plus it is reliable (compare the gripes in previous comments and you will find the only knockers are normally non owners) dont know anything about the new 3.8 petrol but the 3.2 turbo diesel is a great car and veryy economical.
FollowupID: 304130

Reply By: Phil P - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:55

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:55
Hi Wilson,

Nissan sell around 600-800 Patrols a month, thats nearly 7000 per year. Just because a small handfull have had some issues, I wouldn't be basing my decision with this very limited data. I have a May built 2003 TD 3.0L Auto with 26,00klm on the clock and have had only minor issues

> Loose driving Light - After a 7,000 klm trip on bad 4wd tracks.
> Poor wheel balancing at delivery - I had the tyre's swapped over by the dealer at purchase and Bob Jane did a poor job. Re balanced and now perfect.
> Rattling sun visor when in the down position - will be fixed next service.
> Squeeky Passenger seat - fixed at first service.

IMHO the Patrol is extremely good value for the money, I looked at the Toyota TD and felt that the "finish" is better, it certainly drives smoother, but I would rather save the $20,000 with the Patrol. The Toyota needs to be serviced every 5000klm versus the 10,000klm on the Patrol.

Regards
Phil P

AnswerID: 41709

Follow Up By: Jonesy56 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:39

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:39
G'day Phil,
You are right of course about your limited data but it doesn't sit well with us guys who face the prospect of paying out lots of $ + losing 10s of thousands of Km engine life
Regards
Jonesy :-)
FollowupID: 304157

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:24

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:24
Phil, like Bob earlier you have low kms and faults already. You are just another to report poor quality control which is a worry for the future health of a vehicle. I've known 2 patrol owners. One had overheating. He justified it as a very steep track and a very hot day which it was ---- but my Prado was behind him running at normal temp. The other had major power loss which took a long time to rectify. It puts people off!!
FollowupID: 304162

Reply By: dingodigger - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:22

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:22
of the 600-700 per month Patrols that are sold, it would be interesting to know how many have the 3.0 Zd30 and how many of those buyers were aware of the cases of ZD30 probs in Australia. I think what Nissan Aust needs to prove is that the Zd30 has been sorted for the Aust market and no recurring or major engine/drivetrain faults occur beyond the 200k mark as anyone could reasonably expect with regular oil changes, clean filters etc.With the GU III ZD30's that is what remains to be proven.
cheers dd
AnswerID: 41717

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:25

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:25
Mate,

I've got a ZD-30 based GU-II 2001 Patrol.

It's had "issues", but it's never let me down.

The things to check on 2nd handers are the serial numbers of the engines and gear boxes, (to make sure they haven't changed!) which you can do if you are friendly with the Nissan Dealer.

The other things are age and herritage. Most of the problems with the earlier GU II's were caused by the fact that Emergency Services owned them and only did book services on them.

Coupled with the fact that most of the had the bleep driven out of them from cold, coupled with the fact that most of them only had 4.5L of oil instead of 7.9, then you have a receipe for disaster.

My truck has now some 80,000K's of driving, some of it at silly angles (Stockton beach, Brindabella's and such) I've never suffered any problems with it, except for;

1 Turbo Charger replaced (blown seals)
1 Intercooler replaced (Same)
2 Computers (stop the no-boost problem from happening)

I love the truck, especially with high-flow filters and Dtronic!

The only thing you need to do with them is change the fluids and filters at half the Nissan service recommendations and all will be OK.

Chris.
AnswerID: 41828

Reply By: macandjen - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 23:40

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 23:40
I have a 2003 GU patrrol with over 15000k's. I couldn't be happier. It goes well, uses bugger all fuel and has gone everywhere I want to go. I understand that it is still relatively new but I intend to maintain frequent fluid and filter changes to ensure its integrity. For what it's worth.

You dont know what you're missin' if you're not drivin' a Nissan.
AnswerID: 42419

Sponsored Links