Questions for Dion concerning Rodeo TD

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:48
ThreadID: 9462 Views:1450 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there Dion, semms to me you know a bit about the Rodeo Turbo diesels.
Im looking at buying a TD space cab anywhere between 1996-2003 model in the near future. Is there anything mechanically i should look at before i buy the veicle?
basically anything i should look out for that could be worn or faulty.
Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
Cheers......Dan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:00

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:00
Gday Dan,,A small point but one to check is look for any cracking around the clutch master cylinder where it bolts onto the fire wall, this has been a problem with the Rodeo in the past. You will have to pull the insulation back to see properly and look from under the bonnet. I have repaired a couple in the past by makeing up a plate to reinforce the master cyl as it is imposible to weld without burning the vehicle.
AnswerID: 41639

Reply By: Dion - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 23:20

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 23:20
Dan, the three turbo diesel rodeo's I have had I have had no mechanical problems with, apart from the 1st RA which I received a pretty hard shunt to the rear end, but that was not a manufactureres fault!
The R9 I had was 2000 2.8 diesel in which I added an intercooler, traded it at 80000km young, not because there was anything wrong with it, I just needed a larger cab that the single cab, and the 'Monster Truck' advertising that Holdens did won me over. One of my mates from Adelaide now has this vehicle and still gets about 9L/100km, he probably drives it a little harder than I used too. At the 80000km mark when I traded it, it had no warranty work done too it at all.
Probably the worst that could happen to coming across a second hand one of these would be a dusted engine, apart from that, they are pretty bullet proof. There were some stories floating around that the R9 models (up to 2003 RA) were prone to chassis flexing and cracking (twin cabs), and I'm sure someone here knows someone that know's someone else who's inlaws second cousins uncle had one of these crack, interestingly these stories came out not long after the new model Hilux (3.0L diesel) had this occur during some testing, but once again hearsay.
What I can alos categorily say is another mate, whom I went to school with has a early 1990's twin cab with 2.8 diesel, approx 300,000km which he says is still as good as the current 2002-2003 R9's with 2.8 diesels that he drives for his employer at the mines.
I know I am pretty biased but I can't think of anything you really need to look for, perhaps I am lucky, but see what other comments come in.
Equivilant model Rodeo's with petrol engines have a lot more power, but the fuel guage is known to operate inversely to the speedo.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 41674

Reply By: Dan - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:10

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:10
Thanks for the info guys, the reason why i want a turbo diesel rodeo is because i've heard they go for ever if serviced reguarly, so what you've said has just backed that up.
Right, now iv'e gotta find one that i want.
Cheers...... Dan
AnswerID: 41851

Sponsored Links