2002 t/d Jackeroo

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 16:17
ThreadID: 9470 Views:1817 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Hopefully someone has more wisdom that Holden & can help with my problem. My Jackeroo shuts down when towing uphill. The "check engine" light comes on and after a brief stop all goes well again for a few hundred metres and it comes on again. Im not using overdrive and the problem seems to be temperature related. The Vehicle is still under waranty and has been fixed several times.. or im told its fixed but its not. Anyone got any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Clarry - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 18:26

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 18:26
For what its worth.....(but I don't have the very same issue).....my 1999 TD Jack (same donk as yours) has the check engine light permanently on ! Took it to a dealer who ran the "ping" machine over it... turns out the throttle body unit is sending an error signal to the computer. The mechanic quietly told me that it is only a technicality re emissions. If the car is running fine, forget it, due to the parts cost (wait for it)...being $670 plus labour. Indeed, the car is running very well overall (grabbing wood now). Re your issue.... being under warranty, they may not have checked it out properly at all !! (gotta face the likely)..... looks like you are going to have to get spirited. BOL. I hate dealing with Holden dealers.... I always assume the worst......with the Jack fading as a retail product and warranty issues meaning a burden for them, are you surprised its been fixed several times and its still there ?"This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 41659

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 20:36

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 20:36
Clarry.... thanks for the advice.. I know parts are expensive I have an email from Holden though that says that if I use genuine parts they will allow me to service the vehicle without voiding warranty. As you suggest i may have to become a little more strident in my quest to have this problem solved. I have found in the past that if you make your point in loud, clear, concise voice when the service department is full of "satisfied" (thou unknowingly ripped off) customers results tend to follow. I'll try each of the 3 local dealers...again. Oh by the way parts can be a lot cheaper if you get them from "jackerooworld.com"
FollowupID: 304126

Follow Up By: Tim - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:32

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:32
Clarry
I can't believe it, only last week my Jack (99TD) went in for the ping test with the check engine light on most of the time, what do you know, a faulty throttle position switch (the throttle body) is sending the incorrect message also.
I have taken your repair method also.
Tim
FollowupID: 304140

Follow Up By: Clarry - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:24

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:24
Tim....just a thought.... the only non-standard issue I have that could play a part is the Unifilter (oiled foam air filter) system that I use. The Jack pulls in quite a bit of dust from the wheel well on trips and I was sick of buying expensive paper filters or trying to clean them - the donk runs very well, with plenty of watts on the Unifilter setup, but I do now wonder if the minuscule oil droplets may have been a factor on the throttle body issue - maybe not -
are you using paper ?"This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
FollowupID: 304161

Follow Up By: Tim - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:55

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:55
Clarry
No my machine doesn't use a non standard air filter, just the normal paper one (sorry about the double -VE).
It does however cop a lot of dust as I am always out on the farm which as you can imagine is quite dusty.
I am not even totally sure which bit the TPS is. Is it the clyindrical black bit which is connected to the accelerator pedal via a 4 core(?) cable that is located at the rear passenger side of the block next to the big black hose that goes into the intercooler?
It might be easier to send a photo and compare notes with the below post to sort out a cheaper way of fixing it.
Tim
FollowupID: 304319

Reply By: Clarry - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:36

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:36
Indeed.....with such a postitive attitude, you will probably prevail ! Good tip re Jack world - will look them up again. Dealers treat the whole thing as 'marketing" of course (my dealer actually has a bloke in a double breasted suit to receive clients as they drop cars in) - well.....was my dealer..... we don't have any business any more, not since they ripped me off once, and tried to do it again.....no....I should stop..... must move on."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 41670

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:22
Clarry, Re the throttle body issue, a friend tells me that the sensor is all that needs to be replaced and that the oil contamination could cause the problem. he also suggested that the sensor could be washed in a good non aqueous degreaser such as MEK or Carbon tetrochloride... Mine goes in tomorrow after a somewhat acrimonious phone chat today. I suggested that I may discuss my problem on an open internet forum...an immediate change of tune was offered.. anyway we'll see.
FollowupID: 304286

Follow Up By: Tim - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:01

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:01
Rick
Can you keep us updated on the issue?
Tim
FollowupID: 304321

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:13
Well my Jack seems to have a sensor problem too... tells the engine its hotter than it is and shuts it down... cant get it fixed untill 27th Jan tho. I wait with baited breath to see if it gets fixed this time..... I'm going to see if I can find a supplier of the software and plug it in to my laptop and do my own diagnoses....
AnswerID: 41929

Reply By: Clarry - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:05

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:05
Tim....I made a bit of a page awhile back for another forum re my Jack - photos at http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian/jackaroo/.......you need to allow a bit of time for pic downloads..... throttle body is indicated..... re the pics....have now taken out the old HF and put in a new Barrett system.
Rick.... thanks for the tip re washing the sensor.....might take it all out one day and have a look.... I was by no means convinced that the lot needed to be replaced (or ANY needed to be replaced).... dealer advice ? .... highly suspect. Bye the way, why do the folks at Jackeroo World spell it with an E (and the other way too) and have a pic of some odd car at the top ?
"This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 42027

Sponsored Links