cape york trip

Hi all, I am after some advice on what is suitable to tow to cape york behind a 100 series cruiser,looking at kimberly karavan's,maybe a goldstream crown,a supreme getaway,or any other suggestions.will be leaving from perth travelling diagonally across to cairns, and then up to the cape.
any advice and previous experience you have if these campers will handle the tracks will be most welcome.
also any good or bad experience's with these campers.
I await your advice
Thank you
Greg M6
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:04

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:04
If you can afford it have a look at the Quantum--but the may be a long wait to get one.
AnswerID: 482429

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 15:41

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 15:41
Hi Greg. Some info you may not be aware of in the West. If travelling to Cape York and staying in National Parks, it will pay to have a look at thread 91884 regarding online booking for camp sites. I have made enquiries with Qld Govt (www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forrests/) and unless prebookings are made you could miss out. THERE IS NO MORE BOOKING IN WHEN YOU ARRIVE. We have booked sites for July/August already as have others. Hopefully the changes are picked up by everyone travelling in the area.
Good luck with your selection of camper and we may see you up there!
Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 482443

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 17:10

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 17:10
Mike,

Hopefully with a new State Government this stupid idea of having to book online will be ditched. What happens if you don't travel with a laptop and internet connection?

It might work for National Parks which have traditional overcrowding but I don't see how it works for the rest, as for getting a credit if you have unforseen circumstances preventing you getting there (ie the park is closed due to it being flooded) .... well that is another story ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757673

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 16:38

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 16:38
If you are planning to travel on the Telegraph Track, it may be a good idea not to plan to tow anything.
AnswerID: 482444

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:50

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:50
Greg M6

We did the trip "to the tip", last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. With our trevelling companions we had a ball.
Going North up the OTT is a lot less challenging that heading South
We both towed campers along the OTT, but did the first bypass, then hoooked south and had a look ay Gunshot, and it was not that bad, and I was buggered if I would go over the drop off's, but the "chicken route" was easy as both ways with the camper trailer unhooked. You will need a spotter heading down from the Sth side.

If you tow a camper along the OTT then going up is fairly easy, with just a few tricky bits.
Anything bigger than our camper, A Trak Shak, would be starting to get a little challenging.

Watch it at Nolan's, lots of vehicles drown there, not because it's deep, but because it has a muddy bottom. Good momentun is the key to a safe and quick crossing. Take the longer shallow entry point, nrar the old bridge.

We got thru, but our friends spent 4 minutes in the middle till we could snatch them out. Fortunately not too much damage, and we were able to keep them going. Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 482465

Reply By: Member - Greg M6 - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:22

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:22
Thanks to all who replied,the photo Bucky sent gave us a good indication thank you
AnswerID: 482483

Sponsored Links