Lpg gas cylinder danger ?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 19:58
ThreadID: 9473 Views:4236 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Went to local shell to exchange 8.8Kg LPG just before Xmas and on checking for test date, the only one visible read 10/88. Pointed this out to attendant who looked without success for later date, then rang Kleenheat ( Kwikgas sticker on cyl. ) for explanation. No explanation but because I was riding in red truck that squirts water the person from Kleenheat suggested I should find one which was within test period of ten years. This I did and later made enquiry to licenced local cyl. tester who advised it was still requirement for date to be stamped on cyl., usually on valve guard. He also said it was a touchy topic and that big money seemed to be able to avoid complying with safety requirement. I passed info on to ACA, Ch7 which ran story, couple months back, on gas bbq dangers but to date have not heard of this story running re out of test cyls.
This is the second occurence for me ( Bunnings guy queried date on previous cyl. ) and I'm sure these aren't isolated cyls which have slipped thru Mr Kleenheats quality control. Self regulation appears to be a great way to save money, so my advice is to lookysee the cyl. has correct date for your precious safety and piece of mind.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:22

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:22
Mike

Not sure of your State, but in Qld any person who fills an out of date cylinder can be up for a substantial fine and his employer mega bucks. They're red hot on it up here and the story goes that Gov people try to catch the yobbos by presenting out of date cylinders to be filled.

It's an absolute NO NO here.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 41666

Reply By: roscoe - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:25

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:25
Here in Sydney the rules are the same re a ten year old cylinder. As a result, I have started to use a thing called "swap-n-go" whereby I give them my empty, less-than-ten-Y.O. gas bottle and they give me another one full. The whole process is easier and quicker than standing in queue to get the guy to fill up the bottle. Thats my thoughts, anyway.

Roscoe
AnswerID: 41687

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:26

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:26
Yep me too
I have two ...large one for the bbq at home and small for gas stove to take away...call it dead money but i dont have to take a almost empty cylinder back to swap...Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 304155

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:18
Anyone see the poor bugger caught on video in Ipswich when his car burst into flame??? more than one bbq cylinder and a leaky valve and electric windows added up to him being badly burnt for xmas........

I carry oxy/acetylene and mappgas in my sevice vehicle, I always ensure the valves are tight, always check the date stamp of the cylinders when I buy them and always check that I can't smell gas in the truck when I get in..... all good common sense that hopefully means I'll live longer!!

Bugger the legalities, there is no second prize with gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 41696

Follow Up By: phil - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 14:12

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 14:12
There was a case in Sydney a few years ago when a plumber (I think) got into his van in the morning and it exploded on the driveway. The vehicle had a gas cylinder inside and is was thought that it had leaked overnight and was set off by an electrical spark, or him lighting a cigarette. Bits of the vehicle were found 100's of metres away. A vehicle full of LPG is a mighty bomb!
Phil
FollowupID: 304173

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:36

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:36
Yeah...I remember that... yes, he was a plumber and his gas cylinder had been leaking overnight.

Blew a hole in the roof of his Hiace.

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 304232

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:13

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:13
Yeah, NOT fun..

I remember a few months back getting a bottle filled at our local BP station in Chisholm ACT.

I didn't know it at the time, but the cylinder had "just" gone out of date. The 17 yo attendant stopped in his tracks and refused to fill it stating the bottle be out of date. Buggar....

He then suggested Swap-n-go, he'd take this bottle and swap it over with a full one. The Swap-n-go people have their own authorised inspectors, that check bottles for compliance as they come in to the program, when they get painted white and inspected internally. Apparently some of them don't get stamped, as they are more closely inspected than others. In addition to the inspection, I've heared that they get new valve assemblies too.

In riding rough-shot over the gas-laws, they need to be very careful, as they could find that their CEO ends up in Jail due to a wrongful death charge.

Take note that in America, they don't have 10 yearly inspections, they have 5 year inspections. In the US, you can't even fill your car with auto-gas! We've been doing it here for years!

AnswerID: 41823

Sponsored Links