Another engel question

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 10:53
ThreadID: 94746 Views:1904 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning,have (2) engels,(1) the older green/yellow model has perforated gas lines,the other a newer brown MT35F,while motor works ok on 12/240v,
doesn't get cold,assuming compressor problem.My question is,are the compressors interchangeable ?.In both cases,the repair bill will be approx $550.
There are no fridge mechanics or auto leccy within 2 hours,so hoping someone will be able to help.
Regards
Barry B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kev.h - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:10

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:10
The one not getting cold may be a gas leak also and the compressor may be ok try taking the rear cover off and coat the gas pipes with soapy water ( don't get the electrics wet) then run it if you detect any bubbles that is the problem it should have a small amount of gas which can be enough to form bubbles

As for changing compressors, get the compressor model numbers (should be on the unit somewhere) then maybe google engle they make several capacity compressors and they would need to be the same capacity to work properly - not necessarily the same model number

At $550 to repair I would think twice about checking Ebay I've seen relatively new working units go for less than that

Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 482504

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:53

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:53
G'day Barry B
One of the things to check is the voltage to each of the compressors. Probe the wires going to the compressor of each unit and see if there is around 20vac at each. There is two crimped connectors on these wires on mine.

These units don't have motors but have an oscillating solenoid which pumps gas.
They are pretty reliable.
If you have gas leaks and you can find the gas leaks/cracks then it is possible to silver solder or braze the joint closed and then have them regassed.
Depending on size of unit I think they only use about 60 grams of gas.

Ross M
AnswerID: 482512

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:26

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:26
Just be aware that a new compressor includes all of the cooling unit that goes
inside the fridge and that it is gassed and ready to go. That is why the pipes go over the top of the wall of the fridge. It is just"plug and play".

But you had better be sure it is a gas leak or whatever as the rectifier board is a similar cost.
If the fridge just goes and goes then its the thermostat and this is quite cheap.If it doesn't go at all then maybe worth bridging teh thermostat wires to see if that is the problem.
I found this mob good to deal with for a new fan. Engeland 08 92401003
engeland@iinet.net.au

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 482574

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:31

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:31
http://www.engeland.com.au/
FollowupID: 757857

Sponsored Links