Engel as a Secondary Freezer

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:25
ThreadID: 94749 Views:2427 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Contemplating buying an Engel to use purely as a freezer, to compliment Waeco Upright Fridge Freezer in our 12 ft van. Basically trying to get an idea on average size used, so as to give rough idea of how long a stocked freezer would last. We are slowly putting together everything we want for travelling and each trip we spot something else, that someone els is using.

any help be appreciated even from business members

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:39

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:39
We use two Engels - 1 is a 29 litre and 1 is a 39 litre.

On our around Oz trip last year, we used the 39 litre as a freezer. I vaccuum sealed our country killed meat prior to leaving home and I can easily say that the meat lasted us nearly 6 months. If you pack is frozen and flat it's surprising what you can get in it. Eventually when we started to use a significant amount of meat, we swapped it around....moved the frozen stuff to the 29 litre (using it as a freezer) and turned the 39 litre into a fridge.

The reason we also used an Engel is that the Dometic fridge/freezer in our van wasn't good for pulling down meat to freeze. It was easier to freeze it in the Engel and then transfer it to the van's freezer.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 482520

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:51

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:51
Kev,

I generally run 3 Engles :)

1 x 39l on Darkie as a general use fridge (daily drinks and food)

1 x 32l in the camper as a fridge (open it as little as possible)

1 x 32l in the camper as a freezer (all meat pre frozen)

This is for a family of 4, we used this set up for our trip to Silverton for the National Gathering last year and I had some frozen meat left over when we go home (we were on the road nearly 3 weeks). We only restocked basics on the road ie luncheon meats etc.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482523

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:12

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:12
We used to have a Waeco 60l (which we were really happy with) but traded it in when we bought a camper trailer as they were offering us a swap with a brand new Engel.
Have to say not happy with the Engel at all and can't see why people rave about them. We have since got rid of the trailer and the Engel with it. At the Perth Caravan show in March, we purchased another Waeco, although a 50l this time round, as the van will have a large compressor fridge.
We also vacum seal our food and find this highly efficient. If food is correctly sealed and then refridgerated, you'll find that products in the bag in fact don't need freezing and will still be safe to eat after a considerable time.
AnswerID: 482536

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:57

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:57
Hi. I have a 40lt Engel as a fridge and a 80lt used as a freezer.We get enough in
the 80lt for 4/5 weeks. I only use solor for my power. I will turn the freezer down
when the sun stops giving enough feed in without draging to much out of batts.
In the morning when the sun is starting to give abit i crank the freezer back up.
The temp in the freezer drops to about -10 overnight.
Brian
AnswerID: 482548

Reply By: sweetwill - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 08:03

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 08:03
Hello Kevmac.
I use an old engle the green and yellow one it is about 35 yrs old, i think it is 29lt, anyway all my meat and veg is pre frozen and packed as small as possible and as said above I try to take out what is needed for the day, mine also only runs on solar and the car charging the battery's, Happy travels Bill.
AnswerID: 482570

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 15:20

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 15:20
Hi Kevmac, I have an Evakool fridgemate (the yellow plastice one) 55L that is used as a freezer. We cook up meals and freeze before we go and then take out a day or 2 before we need them and put in the free 45L Ice box that came with the fridge. We also put a couple of 1.25lt softdrink bot. in the freezer and would rotate these into the ice box to keep the day to day stuff cool. We travelled for 6 weeks only buying fresh bread etc and eating out of the freezer. The fridge ran off a 75AH Thumper that was charged via car when driving and solar (160W) when stopped. It all worked a treat.

Robyn
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482597

Reply By: kevmac....(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:00

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:00
Well today we went and bought a 40 ltr Engel Eclipse with a bag and all cords. Wife is taking out with her (or has already) and the grandkids for a few days to test it out. Will let you know her opinion when she gets back Saturday. Had already added a 12 volt external socket so Engel could sit out in annex.
AnswerID: 482716

Sponsored Links