Camping with tents

Submitted: Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 13:49
ThreadID: 94767 Views:2471 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

hi all,
Just wanted to put the feeler out there n see if anyone could offer their experiences with tents. We've just returned from five night of camping in some quite windy weather n coldish nights with a tent that we've used a handful of times but first time with our 13month old daughter and we've decided it's time for an upgrade...desperately! :(
Needs...quick n simple to erect, warm on those cold nights, easy to move around @night to attend to the little one i.e. Two areas maybe?
Any suggestions/thoughts welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:04

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:04
Don't think you could go past the Oz Tent range. I don't have one, as we have a camper trailer, but they look an easy set up and come in a few configurations.
Not affiliated with them, just think they look like something you would find useful.
Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 482589

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 15:34

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 15:34
I can second the Oztent as an owner of many years. Simple and quick to setup, and they handle windy conditions as well as anything else I have used. Downside is that they are long when folded up, but if you have a roofrack there is no problem.

Separate Areas? Get the sides and front and you have a separate area. They also have a new feature...the Tagalong tent, which could answer your problem.

Best that you check their website at [url=www.oztent.com.au]www.oztent.com.au[/url.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757871

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:22

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:22
Try a centre pole tent.

Robust and easy to erect, the advantage I see in them is the ability to stand upright in most of the tent.

Some of the '30 second styled' tents don't offer this feature.

The package/bundle size is also much more manageable. One brand which has given me good service is Freedom.

Cheers
AnswerID: 482592

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 20:13

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 20:13
I'll second the Freedom Range.

We camped with both kids in one from when they were new borns. Even though we have "Upgraded" to a camper, I still took both kids (8 and 5 year old) away last week with only the tents :)

Both kids loved it.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757905

Reply By: Shelto S1 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:39

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:39
G'Day Troy,
We have used an Southern Cross Tourer Tent for over 15 years, EXCELLENT. Still as new. Seen many, many trips up the High Country in Victoria including snow, EXCELLENT. Done the Canning and Simpson and up the Cape plus many other trips, EXCELLENT. Ours is the 10 x 10 model but the larger one with an extended end may suit better. Single pole in the centre (side pole kit available) and can stand up easily, plenty of room for a double matteress also. Extremly easy to erect, can do on own in less than 5 mins. Pack up time a little longer, maybe 10 mins. easier with 2.
Hope this help
Cheers
Gordon
AnswerID: 482620

Reply By: mudbro2 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 23:50

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 23:50
I agree with the centre pole tent. We bought a Southern Cross Ultimate Trekker which is 3m x 4m (10ft x 13ft) second hand a few years ago for $500 complete with large awning. Original owner only used it for 5 easters and the canvas they use will last a lifetime. You can pick up some good buys off the net if you keep looking and not in a hurry.
AnswerID: 482640

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:11

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:11
We have a Coleman and it as 2 areas with a zip in-between. The key is on the cold nights is to insulate your bedding, the cold comes up from the bottom so put some layers down and it will help allot. We learned the hard way by just having a blow up bed down on the base on a -2 night and since then we put some blankets down.
AnswerID: 482668

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:08
Good tip, we have found a thin foam mattress under the air bed to work a treat, much warmer. The trick to staying warm is better sleeping bags and thermals. The best tents are only about 3c warmer then the outside temp. I like our Oztrail tent with added sunroom very cosy, and the only tent I have owned(we have about 12) that has never leaked, but it is for extended stays as it takes and hour to erect tent plus sunroom.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 757971

Reply By: Ashez H - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:30

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:30
Hi Troy,
We have a coleman chalet 9 that has 2 rooms either end and a central room also. Its easy to move around in and our son (similar age to your little one) sleeps in his porta cot up one end. We use a double swag with the square foam tiles under it. I refuse to set this tent up unless we are stopping for a min of two nights. If its one night, then our older, small 4 man dome is set up and the single swag is rolled out for the son.
In my opinion, correct pegs and time taken to set up properly (if weather looks like it will be rough) will make all the difference regardless of brand.

Happy hunting!

Ash
AnswerID: 482718

Reply By: glampergal - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:48

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:48
We recently upgraded to a Jayco Swan outback (kids are now 5 and 7) but LOVED our Coleman 'Chalet'. Might be discontined but they would have one similar.
2 bedroom ends (1 adult, 1 kids) and a centre "kitchen" room. Tall enough to stand in an about 30 mins 2 people to put up. It has stood up to some hellish weather but we always travel with -2 degree sleeping bags. Great ventilation for warmer weather and handles wind well. We had a queen air matress in each room and the kids loved sharing in individual sleeping bags. It served us well putting the kids to bed in their "room" and still be able to have space to sit comfortably into the night.

Kelly
AnswerID: 485005

Follow Up By: glampergal - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:51

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:51
I should say 30 mins to put up with practice! Still easy though and the kids and I (or just me really) have done it on our own in under an hour easily.
FollowupID: 760271

Sponsored Links