Advice

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:40
ThreadID: 9479 Views:1826 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I intend to purchase a Dual Cab 4WD probably low km ex government (have never owned a 4WD) and have been looking primarily at the Toyota Hi Lux diesel,Holden Rodeo Turbo Diesel and the Mazda Turbo Diesel. Would appreciate any advice re any of these vehicles and also opinions on Diesel vs Petrol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:13

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:13
Donmac all of the above 3 you really cant go wrong . I would go for the hilux first then the rodeo then the mazda. I think you have all ready made your mind up which way to go with petrol diesel.The most inportant thing is learn how to drive the chosen 4x4 do a driver training coarse. You will then appreciate what a 4wd can do.

All the best
Eric

4wd tag alongs to the cape and beyond

www.capeyorkconnections.com.auCape York Connections
AnswerID: 41692

Follow Up By: donmac - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 16:54

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 16:54
Eric, thanks for your input. Whilst my comments tend to suggest that I have virtually decided on the diesel option I would appreciate your thoughts if any on the petrol option. I have found that with most 4WD drivers I have spoken to say that the petrol versions are more expensive to run and require more maintenance and the diesels are more reliable although one bloke suggested that with the multi point fuel injection available on some models there isn't a lot of difference.
FollowupID: 304188

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:14

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:14
Donmac the later part of your follow up is correct {i think}the mordern 4x4 with all fandangeled electronic stuff they put into the engines these days they run pretty similar.

A few years back we did the simpson desert , there were 5 truks 2 80 deisels mine a deisel 60 a petrol 80 and a 3.6 0r 3.4 auto prado.
The deisels all used about 100 lt the prado used 98lts the petrol 80 used 210lts it didnt have all that fanfdangeled electronic gear on it.

We were all amazed at the prados economy.

So as a guess it will apply the same for the trucks you have short listed in the petrol eqivilent.

All the best

Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 304285

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:04

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:04
The later model nissan navaras would also be worth a look. Turbo diesel is the way to go although modern efi petrol engines have come a long way.
There was a roadtest and comparison of the 4 vehicles in this class(I dont remember where) and I think it went something like this.The hilux for load carrying,the rodeo for offroading and the mazda for highway cruising.The nissan rated highly but I cant remember in what field.
Youll get your money back with a diesel in fuel economy and resale value.
AnswerID: 41715

Follow Up By: dingodigger - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:51

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:51
gday donmac,
at my last job i had the hilux , rodeo and courier (bravo) as work vehicles doing approx 50k per year 50/50 split highway and bush or paddock work. in 2001 i had a rodeo, 2003 a hilux and 2002 a courier. the rodeo was a dual cab, hilux a space cab and courier a dual cab all with traybacks. All lower spec models rodeolx, hilux std, courier gl. Heres my thoughts anyway.
hilux 3.0td excellant power delivery right off low revs. cruised on 110km/hr easily. very nice motor. much better than std 3.0 diesel.harsher riding on road excellant bush ability, build,reliable,2nd hand though prob the dearest.

rodeo 2.8td revved very well off low revs too, can be noisy esp when cold, towed well, mech sound.off road very good, comy on road, rear leaves pretty soft.pretty good value for money. built well.for what you pay 2nd hand i reckon the rodeos are bloody good value.

courier 2.5td. off road- motor poor at low revs (sand or hard going) gap between 1st and 2nd too much. had probs with exhaust manifold, intercooler hose, air con dropping out, front strut assembly probs , wheel alignment probs.

anyway thats my two bob
cheers
dd
FollowupID: 304171

Follow Up By: donmac - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:15

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:15
Thanks ross and also dingodigger your opinions are appreciated.
FollowupID: 304272

Reply By: Member - Les & Clare (WA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:21
Hi Donmac,

I have had 2 Mazda Bravo TD 4x4's. The first a DX model purchased new in 1999. Did a bit over 180,000 kms. Was serviced regularly by dealer and never had any trouble with it at all. Only complaint being it was a bit noisy and rough on highway. Used it on beach without any hassles and climbing dunes etc.

I bought a new SDX TD in 2003. This has much more options as standard such as 275/15 wheels etc. Also much more comfortable on road and very quite cruising at 110KPH. Very impressed with it. I took it to the beach near Bremer Bay over christmas/ new year and it performed very well on soft sand (tyres let down to 20psi). Also towed a camper van with it and it handled it no worries.

As for diesel versus petrol, I think a diesel will out pull a equivalent sized petrol motor, is more ecconomical to run (fuel and running cost) But needs oil changed every 5000km in my opinion. Diesel will outlast a petrol by a considerable margin.

Regards

Les
Have beast - will travel!
AnswerID: 41760

Reply By: donmac - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:19

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:19
Thanks les, ironically we preferred the Bravo's when we first started to look but since then we have tended towards the Hi Lux and the Rodeo's. We too are in WA.
AnswerID: 41827

Sponsored Links