Kimberley trip questions

We are planning a trip to the Kimberley in June this year. Our idea is to bring our off road Coromal to Kununurra and leave it there. Then we will explore the Kimberley with our tent. Has anyone done the Buchanan Highway with a caravan? We were just wondering if it is suitable to take the caravan over it. Also does anyone have any recommendations for caravan storage in the Kununurra area? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:33

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:33
Hi Grazz

Try Zebra Rock Gallery where they run a sort of unofficial camping area and i believe will allow vans to be left, Hidden Valley CP (where we stayed for a while), or failing that any other CP.Wyndham is another option - pleasant CP there and not too far from the start of the GRR. I expect the Buchanan would be as corrugated as the GRR or more so - it would depend in the day/week/year; but no first hand knowledge.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482719

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:58

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:58
I can recommend Zebra Rock Gallery as well, (Packsaddle RdKununurra WA 6743 (08) 9168 1114), no under cover protecton but the van will/should be safe there parked amongst the mango tress & not far out of town.
Sorry no knowledge of Buchanan Way..... oh how I miss The Kimberely! you will have a ball!!!!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758028

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 13:44

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 13:44
You probably have a couple of choices for caravan storage, however I'm another advocate for Zebra Rock Gallery. It's well out of town and we felt it was safe. We left our van there for 6 weeks last year and it had a nice "holiday" amongst the mango plantation. Cost is around $7 a day (can't quite remember). It was surprising how popular it is for storage.

Alternatively you can try the Big 4 by the Lake - we didn't like the look of where the van would be left in storage as it backed on to a fence which you could see from the road. Didn't feel comfortable that it would be safe.

We also asked around at other caravan parks but as they had no designated storage area it meant that you would pay for the site at a normal nightly rate ($35+). That was out of the question for us given we were going to leave it for 6 weeks.
AnswerID: 482759

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:08

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:08
Hi Grazz,

I towed my van along the Buchanan in 2010. At that time the Stuart Hwy to Top Springs section had just been graded, so was in perfect condition. Top Springs on was not as good, but nothing that caused any problems at that time. Any rain would be cause for concern I think.

Quite a nice drive.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482761

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:07

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:07
I going to be contentious here. If you have confidence in your off road van can, if it can do the Buchanan, it will also do the Gibb with the same amount of ease. Both are Outback roads with corrugations, dust, dips and distance!!! Take your van and enjoy its comforts rather than leave it behind in Kununurra!!!!
AnswerID: 482800

Follow Up By: R I F - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 19:37

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 19:37
Noticed your note on GRR, We have a Coromel 5.11 offroad van and we are debating the question of caravan or tent. Can do the trip mid June or mid July/Aug 2012. Most people have said the river crossings and the steep approaches to them can be daunting when towing a caravan. Partner says caravan which of course is more comfortable, but we have prepared with tent. What to you think
FollowupID: 758639

Reply By: Member - Grazz T (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:13

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:13
Thanks for all the info and ideas from everyone. Sounds like the Zebra Rock Gallery is the place to leave the caravan. We want to have easy access to 4wd areas without the caravan around the Kimberley. In regard to using the Buchanan...still undecided..might leave the decision until we are there. Really looking forward to this trip. Still finalising the itinerary and it looks like we might be trying to do too much.
AnswerID: 482909

Sponsored Links