Busses.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:36
ThreadID: 94819 Views:2617 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Plenty of busses for sale around the place. Some converted,some not and going cheap. Even saw a double decker which could get the imagination working overtime in renovations.

Question is this,
Whats involved for rego each year? It can't be as simple as a pink slip, then get a green slip.
Keep getting different answers from RTA (or whatever they call themselves now) Even been told six monthly by a local bus mechanic for a firm, but i'm sure that is as a commuter. Surely.

Some examples on prices could be nice to please (NSW) as I believe these can also be different depending on weight.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:41

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:41
BTW.
While i'm here,
Are big motorhomes such as those made from busses, trucks etc, required to go through the weighbridges such as those at Marulan?
What about logbooks? They are after all a heavy vehicle.
AnswerID: 482805

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:46

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:46
THe signs posted on the entrances to Mt Boyce checking station at Mt Victoria states that all trucks and buses weighing 4 tonnes tare and higher must enter. After driving thru this weighbridge more n 700 times in the last 3 and a bit years...i reckon the sign would mean any bus that meets those requirements....and coz of that ...would think that you have to maintain a proper logbook as well...coz yu cant legally drive bigger buses on a car licence hey

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758075

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:50

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:50
Seen Winnebagos drive past these. With some of these being in excess of 8ton, and needing a rigid licence, wouldn't a check and a log book also apply here?
Or does it come under a different catagory?
FollowupID: 758084

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:40

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:40
I have never seen buses go in the weigh bridge on the Bruce Highway at Burpengary (Queensland) which I go past regularly. In fact when it is open the flashing neon sign says "trucks must enter" or similar words (it doesn't say heavy vehicles). So buses don't need to be weighed as far as I know.

FollowupID: 758089

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:16

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:16
Now this is a good post, and will receive lots of varying answers.

Quite typical that no 2 persons from the RTA will supply the same answer.

I drive a bus/coach, from 16T to 25T for a living, and we are required to use the log book if we are going to be operating outside 100 klm from the depot. It is all to do with the current fatigue management laws.

We are required to go through the checking stations when they are open, whether we are are empty or not. Most checking stations are for vehicles over 8T. I am not familiar with the 4T at Mt Victoria. Then there are the mobile inspectors (Mermaids :-) ) that can pull you up anywhere.

In saying that, I can't ever recall seeing a motorhome/converted bus in a weighbridge.

Surely they are not exempt, as the whole idea of the checking stations is to monitor fatigue management and overloading, as well as obvious unroadworthiness, appropriate licencing and registration.

It is something I have often wondered about myself. Maybe I'll ask the guys at the checking station next time.

Fred

FollowupID: 758097

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 13:35

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 13:35
I have seen buses going into the F3 and Marulan checking stations - as well as large "RVs".

Garry
FollowupID: 758108

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:35

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:35
I have just found this very subject on theCaravaners Forum
AnswerID: 482832

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:27

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:27
If you read through this RTA Regs Logbooks you will see that motorhomes are exempt from log books, or work diaries as they are now called.

If you drive a motorhome/bus setup, I would be printing off and keeping those Regs to show Mr. Plod should you be put in that predicament.

Checking stations/weigh bridges are a different matter, and all vehicles that come within the weight being called in at that particular checking station must comply.

FollowupID: 758101

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:36

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:36
I just found a similar responce in another forum as well.
Just wondering what the difference is now in regards to a truck/bus travelling along the highway with logbooks, and requiring a rest every now and then, and a converted truck/bus with no longbook and no requirement for a rest, with a driver who has his eyes shut after 5hrs or more of straight driving. Same large heavy vehicle which requires more concentration than a little car.
FollowupID: 758104

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:26

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:26
Well...I just learnt something new from this post re converted buses....and maybe you are right here. However...in the scheme of things ...I was directed to divert to weighbridge one arvo on my way east at Mt Borce ....and pulled up right behind a countrylink bus that was getting a going over ....while driver logbook was being checked....and I remember thinking at the time that anything big and on wheels is fair game here.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758139

Sponsored Links