caravan parks Gammon Rangers

Hi, I am planning a trip to the Gammon rangers and looking for a place to stay for a week. I would like some advice on places. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:09

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:09
I might be wrong but I think the closest caravan park is at Arkaroola. There are plenty of bush camping spots in the National Park and fees apply. I like the area, very scenic. Cheers.
AnswerID: 482807

Reply By: True Blue - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:57

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:57
Hi Julio.

On my first trip to the Flinders 10 yrs ago, our trip leader took us to 'Mulga View Station' in the Iron Stirrup range of the Gammon Ranges. The road to the station is only a couple of ks long and is pretty much directly opposite the turn off to 'Chambers Gorge'.

You have to be 100% self sufficient and you actually get to get up on the plateau that is the range itself. From this magnificient location you get 360degree views looking down on the surrounding countryside. Importantly you will need a vehicle with low range to access the camp ground but by crikey it is worth every effort to get there. Those of us who experienced this spot still talk about it to this day.

The station also has it's own private 4wd traks for it's visitors.

Can't recommend the place high enough.

Wayne
AnswerID: 482835

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:14

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:14
There is a loop road around the national park and as mentioned above there are a number of great camping spots
See if you can get a copy of the RAA Flinders Ranges map as from memory I think they are marked on it
AnswerID: 482836

Reply By: GREENDOG ! - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 22:35

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 22:35
If i was goin to base my self for a week ,it would be Parachilna Gorge ,Iknow it's not the Gammon Rangers but it has so much more to offer free caming,free fire wood(sleepers} by the track side either side of Parachilna,explore the true Flinders,Wilpena Pound,Brachina Gorge there is so much to do and see.have a great time cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 483036

Reply By: Pary01 - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:01

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:01
Hi Julio,
Just spent 3 weeks in this area one week in the Gammon Ranges and two in the Flinders ranges. Apart from Arkaroola your options in the Gammon Ranges are bush camping at one of the national park sites , which we did and it was fantastic we stayed at a place called Weetootla, which was 30Klm south of Arkaroola we have an off road caravan and got in no problems just take it slow. From here we were able to drive around and investigate the area totally. If you intend to stay at the national park camp sites buy a pass before hand and depending on your plans it will work out cheapest we paid $50 for a two month pass. We also used this same pass in the Flinders Ranges and stayed at the Aroona Ruins camp site and down at Innes National Park on the Yorke Peninsula. Note however Wilpena was not covered using this pass.

Not sure where you rcoming from but we travelled from Yunta to Weetootla and the road was good back in March .
AnswerID: 483043

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:37

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:37
Julio,

Have stayed at Weetootla, Grindels Hut and Arkaroola.
My pick would be the camping ground at Grindells Hut.
There is another camping ground on the loop road but it's much more basic.
AnswerID: 483149

Sponsored Links