Nambi Bandya Road blocked by fence / Confluence visit

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:42
ThreadID: 94821 Views:3940 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

I tried to get to Leonora from Bandya so took the obvious road. The Nambi Bandya Road. All was going well until I came to a gateless fence about 10 kilometres south of Barney's Well. I was spewing as I was on a tight timeframe (a new thing for me) and had to backtrack more than 50 kilometres back to Bandya.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I headed west and followed the Bandya Banjawarn Road for a while. Good Road. Just after Milurie Outcamp the road deviated from the track on my maps and followed station tracks. South from Lucky Bore I didn't get close to Banjawarn as the road deviated away and a sign directing "all traffic" pointed to the west.

Image Could Not Be Found

I now had visions of me ending up via Yandal onto Wongawol Road however my heart rested somewhat at Crofts Well, a major intersection now in these parts, and I followed the southern track to Melrose.

Here is the plotfile:

Now prior to this I visited the "unvisited" confluence of 122E 27S. From Bandya I headed up the Lake Wells Road until Duketon. This was only the start of this road which was a good track in reality, though not used very often by the looks.

After Duketon I drove north along the Urarey Warren Bore Road which was a wide graded track, until Jerry's Bore where I headed west.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

There was a track which I expected to be a bit rough and was right. Rocky at the start, however turned gradually into the normal spinifex and sandy track. I put the Bra on the front at this stage.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

The confluence was 13 kilometres north of the track at its closest point and this section was pretty easy, standard sand and spinifex country interwoven with the occasional woodland.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

A bit naughty of me not lowering my tyre pressures however arrived back home with the same air in the tyres as when I left :)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:30

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:30
Mate,
as we used to do with dozers when walking them across country.

Carry a part roll of No 8 fencing wire and a set of wire strainers.

Cut, drive through and then patch and strain.

May all your cows remain alive and uneaten on your side of the fence and may all my sheep remain alive and uneaten on my side of the fence. Tongue in cheek.

Always remember to say this when you are asked about the the fence. Point at your mate and say I did't do it he did.

R.A.

AnswerID: 482811

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:50

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:50
Hi Rockape,

Not a bad idea, and may have saved me a bit of time....

A native couple I met on the way back after I told them of my drama said, "ah yes, that'll be that new fence!!!!"

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758076

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:42

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:42
Hi Alan

Well done and congratulations on a visit to yet another unvisited Confluence.

How are you enjoying the "Confluence Dance".....one step left, one step back, don't move and all those magic zeros....LOL

I see it is in the Pending page, and from past experience with Gordon Spence, he gets them up fairly quick.

Well Done.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482813

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:56

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:56
Hi Stephen,

I did do a little dance actually, lucky no one else was there to see!!!!!

A bit surprised this one hadn't been visited. It was the last one left in Australia that had all eight adjacent confluences having been previously visited. The unvisited ones are now getting further and further from the major settled areas.

Good to get a bushfix anyway, even for a short time.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758077

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:12

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:12
Hi Allen

Looks like a magic trip with some lovely photos.

Curious to know what tyres you are running?. I just damaged three out prospecting and starting to think I will run two sets...one for "normal exploring" and one for smore serious off road stuff when needed.

cheers Graeme
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482831

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:27

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:27
Hi Graeme,

Somehow I think my answer wont be too much help to you!!

I'm running a bit of a mixture at the moment.

Maxxis Big Horns on the front (@75%)
STT's at the rear (@40%)

I can get away with these and a few others I've lying around the yard at the moment. I will have to buy a full set though before I do any extended trips.

I hope you found some gold out there!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758100

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:23

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:23
Graeme,

if you're weighed down with nuggets, get the Toyo Open Country MT's. We've been working on Al for a year or two now and reckon we've almost got him there ;-)

Another successful hunt Al.Well done in all regards and we'll look forward to an in depth report in due course. We easterners are always jealous of what you blokes have on your doorstep. I am in awe of just how many kilometres you can get under your belt in a short period of time. Did the dog spell you at the wheel?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758112

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 19:16

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 19:16
Hi Mick,

A few kilometres were pumped out, about 2800 of them from Thursday arvo to Monday arvo. Most of them are getting to the area and back. 4 days isn't a lot of time so I have to pick my targets of interest carefully (one being the confluence and the other target I'll go into more detail about in a few weeks - hint - Laverton is about to have a new tourist attraction for its brochures). The dog doesn't help out at all, she just stares at me, "are we there yet" :)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758129

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:48

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:48
Hi Alan.I go out that way looking for my fortune and had it in my head to
travel that road looking. So I guess it will be the round about route to Duketon.Looks like the
track Melrose to Bandya has improved By your ave speed very cut up last time I was that way. Brian
AnswerID: 482865

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 19:20

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 19:20
Hi Brian,

The Melrose to Bandya track is a compilation of other tracks which appear to divert the traffic away from Banjawarn, not sure why. It wasn't cut up anywhere when I drove it.

The Laverton to Bandya track is still open and is a very good track. Good luck with your fortune seeking.

Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758130

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:45

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:45
Love your story and your pictures, but have to ask, what's a 'confluence'? Thanks, Fraun
AnswerID: 482944

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:56

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:56
Hi Fraun,

Thanks for that. A confluence is where the lines of latitude and longitude meet up at even numbers. There is a worldwide project to have photos taken at each one. (not near the poles though as there is too many and too close together)

Main Website for Confluences

Here's a picture of the ones visited in Australia (in red)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758175

Follow Up By: Member - IdahOz - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:00

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:00
Thankyou, I hadn't heard of this project and it sounds really interesting, I'll have to read up on it.
FollowupID: 758177

Sponsored Links