Comment: Long Range Fuel Tanks

I recently put a long range tank on my hilux. It was fairly straight forward but the manufacturer advertised that the tank held 144 litres. I filled mine with 140 litres. The electric pump inside the tank on mine did not reach the bottom of the tank due to a design error of the manufacturer. While I was filling it I checked the electric pump and it was sucking air for the first 15 litres. Consequently I only get 125 litres of usable fuel in my tank. I was disappointed that I only got 125 litres having paid $1000. It is better than the 75 litres that comes with the hilux but is not what I paid for.
People have asked about the accuracy of the fuel gauge. The gauges are not accurate anyway but you can modify the performance of the gage by changing the length of the float arm. A longer arm will allow the float to rise to the top of the tank. Be careful to measure the arm at the bottom of travel before altering it so that the empty position is always the same. Check the resistance empty and full by moving the arm through its entire range before altering with a multi-meter. The turn the tank upside down and the correct orientation with the sender in the tank and check the sender resistances again to ensure that the float is not fouling on something inside the tank. If it is open, inspect, modify and try again. You will never get it completely accurate so make a note of where the gage reads as you fill it the first time. I have laminated a table of the measurements I got the first time and put it in my glovebox.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GT Campers - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:30

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:30
Did you give the manufacturer the opportunity to correct the fuel pump issue?

All the tanks I know of place the fuel pump in exactly the same position in relation to the floor of the tank as OE so there are no problems with pumping, or with the fual gauge: the fuel gauge will always show 'F' for longer, but its precision returns as the fuel level drops. In effect, the fuel gauge measures the last two thirds (roughly) of the tank's contents as when installed in the new tank, it has more fuel stored above it, if you know what I mean
AnswerID: 482822

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:53

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:53
I've recently had one fitted to my Hilux also.

The fellow who did the work, and who is very reliable, told me that the fuel gauge will not indicate anything other than full for quite some time. Then it will give an accurate reading as the fuel is used up.

I really haven't tested the distance factor as yet, I filled up at Mildura, dragged a caravan back home and the tank is still a bit over half, add to this a bit of local running.

Can anyone supply information as to how far one can get on one of these tanks. I'll be towing a single axle van, and I usually sit on about 80 KPH.

FollowupID: 758092

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:02

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:02
Only you can work that out Richard H, based on YOUR vehicle's consumption: what does it drink per 100 kays?
eg: At around 20L/100km, my V6 Nissan could travel 680-700 kays from a 140L tank
FollowupID: 758094

Follow Up By: eal - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:08

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:08
I did see the Manufacturer and sent him an email about the pump but he has not responded in any meaningful manner.

My fuel consumption is about 10 litres/ 100km so I will get a good 1100 Km out of this tank with a margin for error. From experience, I need a range of 1000 Km to provide me with adequate freedom so I think I will be OK. It was just that I did not get what I was lead to believe I was getting that disappointed me.
FollowupID: 758099

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:50

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:50
Eal, did he not offer to fix the tank/pump? I don't know of any manufacturers here that don't take extreme pride in thier design, workmanship and installation
FollowupID: 758103

Follow Up By: eal - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:55

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:55
GT Campers, the manufacturer is local. I described the problem problem to him and how I had determined that the fuel was not accessible by listening to the pump while I carefully filled the tank until it stopped sucking air. He told me that it was probably due to a change that Toyota had made to the design and that we meaning I would just have to live with the consequences. It was out of his control.
FollowupID: 758113

Sponsored Links