Is an Annexe essential?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:02
ThreadID: 94844 Views:1697 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 22ft van and are heading off around Oz, we have a full set of shade walls but do we need to get an annexe as well. We had a small pop top before this with a full annexe but hardly ever used it. I'm wondering if we will use it more on our big trip? Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frances - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:07

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:07
When we did the trip that you are about to do we only had an awning on our van. We deliberately didn't buy an annexe because we didn't want to spend the time setting it up and packing it up and also we didn't want to take up valuable storage space storing it. We found the weather was usually sensational and enjoyed sitting outside. If the weather wasn't sensational we simply went inside the caravan. We don't regret not taking an annexe.
AnswerID: 482899

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:55

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:55
We are currently about half way through our trip around Oz also travelling with a 22 foot caravan. We have the annex walls with us but have not put it up as yet. The only time we are likely to use it is when we have friends join us to travel for a couple of weeks mid year.
AnswerID: 482907

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:32

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:32
Hi
We have a goldstream trailer, if we are away for any more than a weekend we always put up the annexe. It only takes mins or so, and gives us extra storage.
richard
AnswerID: 482929

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:41

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:41
Makintraks,

we only use the roll out awning and carry 1 piece of shade cloth with eyelets that is made for an end.

I had a bolt rope sewn into it so it can be slid on along the front of the awning or used on either end to reduce the suns rays. We have found this is all we need and the main reason for it is to keep the weight and clutter to a minimum.

RA.
AnswerID: 482930

Reply By: Toby T1 - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:49

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:49
I agree with everyone here. It does take space and it does take time to setup. We have children and the annexe is excellent for extra shelter. We also put our extra tables, BBQ etc underneath this without the 'worry' of it being a bit more open, so to speak. While it does take time to setup and put away, my personal opinion is what else are you doing on your holiday? :)
AnswerID: 482945

Reply By: R Send - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:57

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:57
We did the tour 18 months ago and took both the annexe and shade walls.
The annexe never came out of the bags, apart from one end wall when we hit some rough weather.

We used the shade walls (1 side wall and 2 end walls) as required for shade and/or privacy.

Next time we'll just take shade walls! I believe you can now get end walls that are a combination annexe wall and shade wall - we might try one of those.

Happy travelling

Phil
AnswerID: 482946

Reply By: Bill BD - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:11

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:11
Of course its not essential. Try without and see what you think.
AnswerID: 482955

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 13:33

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 13:33
Hi Makintraks

When we are touring we never use an annex or awning as we are on the move most days and prefer to sit out under a tree and follow the shade while enjoying our surroundings. In wet or wintry weather we stay inside anyway. The walls are heavy and bulky so they stay at home. We have on two occasions used the awning part only and they were both at a week long get together at a caravan park. I would prefer a simple wind out awning to the annex we have, but getting it changed over was a bit complicated considering we are rural based and putting out the annex without fitting the walls is quick and easy and it withstood windy conditions.

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482991

Sponsored Links