suspension upgradeon Navara

G,Day Everyone,---looking for advice on upgrading my suspension on my new Navara V6-D40.---Had all but decided on an Ironman system, but have been told of other systems either better or equal, so any feedback or experience --good or bad, would be appreciated.---I;m heading out to the Gunbarrell and CSR, so I want peace of mind on my systems ability to cope.---I'm looking at shockers, springs, etc to suit a fully loaded ute, along with a long range tank of 145 ltrs------hope you can help------cheers Sapper D

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris85 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:01
Had ironman on my d22, complete waste of money, didnt even last 30,000km. Get what you pay for. Now have koni adjustables, not sure of the springs though but is a much better ride. Brother has a d40 and has koni adjustables with old man emu springs, not impressed with the old man springs they have sagged, have also heard this from other mates who have om emu springs. The shockers are top quality, made in holland and can be rebuilt, which is rare thesedays.
AnswerID: 482895

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:37

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:37
Sapper D,

probably as a counterpoint to Chris, I had the full ironman suspension kit on my D22 Navara and was very happy with it. Towed a camper trailer more than 40,000 km around Oz including a lot of the iconic outback tracks with no issues other than a bit of shocker fade. Would agree with Chris on two points. avoid OME springs and shocks. I've had them on the Patrol (as an Ex ARB car). The shocks are very poor in particular. The Koni's are the best that money can buy and something that I aspire to in the near future. I'd go the big bore 95's (adjustables). They are dear as poison though.

I've found an excellent and much cheaper alternative is the Tough Dog Big Bore adjustables. They are easily adjustable with a dial up or down capability. Some have had complaints about the vulnerability of the adjustment knob to damage and this would be an issue. I overcame this by welding a couple of steel tabs onto the bottom spring mounts of the 79 series as guards. The shocks are amazing and perform exceptionally well. By way of example, on one of our trips, an extremely heavily loaded vehicle on the infamous Canning corrugations, with the T/D shocks dialed down to zero (no damper), maintained 50C temperature. OME nitros were at 155C and dying in the same conditions.

You'll do OK with an Ironman Suspension upgrade with springs and tortion bars. If your budget extends that far, get the Konis but otherwise, match your upgrade to a set of Tough Dog big bores and you won't regret it. You'll find Ironmans customer service is 2nd to none as well and that's important when travelling.

Safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482904

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:02

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:02
Thanks Chris and Mick,--very helpful----one more question to Mick if I may.--Do "tough Dog" do a full suspension system (i.e springs and coils and all) or just shockers,--if not, what spring/coil type did you use with your "tough Dogs" ?.--looking at the standard springs on the new Navara,-they're nearly level while empty---wouldn't get far I suspect.
FollowupID: 758156

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:20

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:20
Mate I think they do Leaf springs. They do coils and shocks for sure. I'm using a strengthened and reset original toyota leaf pack on the rear of the ute and a set of Tough Dog coils on the front both matched with the big bore adjustables. On the pevious patrol I had Ironman coils and a ATOC rear spring tower support kit. I'd been through various sets of shocks including two sets of ARB nitros. I'm looking at a 12 leaf single stage leaf pack from Guests Off Road in the near future. This will probably involve a set of Koni's.

If you intend doing a lot of travel, I'd suggest a stronger rear spring set to offset load and trailer weight. Bellows type airbags may also be a handy addition but only as an assist to levelling, not for covering off extra load (leads to the possibility of a cracked diff housing or other horrors).

Have a serious look at the Ironman kit for Springs and tortion bars. If you're in Melbourne, go down to Clayton and have a chat with Adam and the boys. and discuss your needs.

Have a look at the 4WD1 site which is who I got my T/D shocks through. They have a heap of stuff for the Navara.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 758159

Follow Up By: patsproule - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:51

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:51
My BIL ruined an ironman lift in his D40 on it's first crossing of the Simpson. Rear springs fell apart. It now has a tough-dog lift with adjustable shocks and seems a lot better to ride in amongst other things.
FollowupID: 758171

Reply By: GT Campers - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:19

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:19
Sapper, what other treks have you completed? What made you decide on one brand over another?

AnswerID: 482959

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 16:34

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 16:34
Hi GT----not sure what you mean by one brand over another?---do you mean the Navara over others, or the suspension?--which is what I'm trying to decide on,-what is the best suspension---hence my questions in this blog.--------Last year we did The Simpson, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, Tanami, Great Central, and a few lesser ones,---did those on standard suspension in LC100---I'm told we need better than that to do the CSR and Gunbarrell this year
FollowupID: 758214

Reply By: apwaddo - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:27

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:27
I had a 2006 D40 navara (diesel) and I was also somewhat dissatisfied with the suspension system as fitted new. My problems were mainly poor ground clearance, spongy rear end when towing, skittery handling with no load on cornering, and a feeling of 'about to lose it' when towing.

I had ARB fit an OME system, complete, front and rear - shocks springs etc. Also had an additional fuel tank fitted at same time. The difference was an amazing improvement in on road , off road and towing a caravan.

I did about 100,000 kms with the system with one small issue of a leaking duel tank (fixed for free) in all of conditions before i sold the vehicle.

Highly recommended!
AnswerID: 483027

Sponsored Links