threats to fellow travellers

Submitted: Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 23:14
ThreadID: 94876 Views:3641 Replies:18 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
I am quite concerned as to the tone of some posters and their threats of illegal actions towards generator users as to what they may do to their equipment. Apart that what they propose is illegal and could result in criminal charges what gives them the right to think that they can interfere with someone elses private property.
Sure some generator owners should be more considerate but surely late night noisey revellers,early morning risers who insist in revving their motor are no different. I most certainly do not include those travellers with young babes as its good to see children out and about in our great land.

The solution as I see it is for generator users to clearly display a sign "Generator used here" Perhaps generator sellers could include these signs as part of their deals.
One further point to those who claim that they would take illegal and cowardly covert action against a generator user is to find out why the generator is being used. We have met fellow travellers who for medical reasons have to use generators. I for one welcome their presence.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 23:36

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 23:36
Hello John, despite all the "talk" I have never seen or expirienced these situations, that are mentioned about, what others may or may not do,on the road.

To be honest, we usually camp away from everybody else if possible, but even when you cannot avoid it, I have never seen any of that sort of behaviour.

Most campers have generators and it has never bothered me or any body else for that matter.

Once you get out there you will find a lot of very friendly people who share a common pastime.

Sure, you get some characters, but hey we all have our quirks.....don't we?

As for me, I never leave our valuable stuff out at night, I always put it away and lock it up.

Go out there and dont be afraid to use ALL your gear....yes even your generator.
AnswerID: 483039

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 00:18

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 00:18
John,
As you have stated, the use or not of generators is a personal choice and for many reasons, including medical grounds. My experience has been that most people have shut down their gennys at a reasonable time so no dramas. I own a Honda 2.0 which is pretty quiet even when asked to produce near maximum output but I make sure that it is not running much after sundown.
As far as the threats made from the safety and anonymity of a forum such as this.. well I think you will find nearly all are empty threats and not likely to be carried out face to face.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 483041

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:26

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:26
Hopefully these threats are made by the "keyboard commandos" who act first and think later.
Generators can be a niusance..the same as parties, ;oud music, exhausts, vehicles in no access areas etc, etc,

Common sense should prevail.
cheers
AnswerID: 483045

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:44

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:44
In seven years full time I have never seen or heard of a problem with generator operation. Far more of a problem with drunken slobs who revel late into the night with no consideration for others..... but even that is rarely a problem as we, wherever we can camp well away from other. Not that we are anti social - just rather wake up with the birds and wildlife.

Can you imagine some irate camper walking into a police station and demanding that the owner of vehicle/caravan registered number plate ABC XYZ be charged for running his generator and disturbing the peace....... LOL

John
AnswerID: 483047

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 08:45

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 08:45
John I think you are simply witnessing a verbal expression of frustration at some peoples lack of consideration for fellow travellers. It’s simply mouthing off and I doubt very much that it would manifest itself into physical action (remember this is the internet as well). I to have suffered more lack of consideration from generator users in my7 travels than I have drunken yobbo syndrome but then this probably has a lot to do with just where and when you camp. Now I’m speaking in generalisations here so keep that in mind as you read on.

To my mind, if you intend camping along major routes utilising your “free Camps” book, then you can expect to be jammed in close with numerous other nomads and you can fully expect that they will need to run their 2VA Honda all night to run the airconditioning, satellite tele, microwave and electric blanket. Because there’s usually a few of them and they are all living in the insulated cocoons, they can shut the door to consideration of non-van users. If you’re a camper, well I say that you will have to expect this type of behaviour and you could save yourself the angst by simply camping a couple of kilometres down the road and avoiding the crowded spots (unfair you say but an easy solution and one we use always – just because DeGrey River camp is empty when you set up at 3.00pm doesn’t mean you won’t have a 25” van 2 metres either side of you by 5pm believe me!) The exact same principal applies to the attack of the ugly Australians. You know where to find them so why camp there?

On the other hand, I spend a lot of money and precious holiday time getting to some of our wonderful remote locations.Places that few visit. I do this because I enjoy the serenity and peace that comes with wonderfully isolated places,so you can probably understand my disappointment and frustration when fellow travellers arrive and then start up their generator with little consideration for surrounding campers. I don’t intend to go into the specifics of the many occasions that it’s happened to me but in my mind, the hour around sunset is sacrosanct. I would never run a generator within an hour of sunset or into the night. From 9:00 am to 3:30 p.m. run them all you like as far as I’m concerned but running a 2KVA in a bush camp till 2.00 a.m. because you need to run a 240W light globe is beyond the pale. If you spend so much money on a vehicle, camper or caravan, why not take the time and a little extra $ to develop some DC capability and sustainability rather than revert to a generator in the first instance? Struth 300W of solar is only a little over $600 these days...half the price of a 1Kva honda or Yamaha.

Consideration is always a two way street and unfortunately in these modern times the principle of “consideration for others” is fast being replaced by an attitude of “me, me me” and a sense of selfish entitlement regardless of others. It’s a two way street.

I’ll get off my soapbox now ;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483054

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:04

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:04
Micko,

Very eloquently stated indeed.
Your comment re the "cocoon" syndrome is right on the money.

Some folk just don't realise the noise outside their mobile motel room may be annoying to those who enjoy living "outside" the cocoon.

Generators, airconditioners, boom boxes and antisocial behaviour are all negatives for most campers.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 758261

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:14

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:14
Morning Bill. I'll just point out again that I'm generalising here and there are some very considerate caravan travellers around however the "cocoon" principle is a very real phenomena. That's why I try and avoid free camps on major routes.

Places where nobody goes are getting much harder to find ;-)

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758262

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:38

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:38
We use the Camps 6 book to tell us where NOT to camp!

FollowupID: 758264

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:48

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:48
I'm with you on that one Shaker. Best way to avoid the crowds.
FollowupID: 758265

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:49

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:49
very well said Mick O.
And... Why some people don't simply but holiday homes/units is a mystery to me!
FollowupID: 758266

Follow Up By: R Send - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:15

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:15
Mick,

Can you clarify exactly who you refer to as "the ugly Australians"? It would seem to be open to some interpretation.

Bob
FollowupID: 758271

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:34

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:34
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 758272

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:51

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:51
Excellent points Mick, and very well made. Consideration for others goes a long way to ensuring campsite harmony, but we first have to be aware of what we are doing and whether it might be annoying to others. Hard to do if we are spending most of our camping time inside a van with the TV on.

We have seen generators put well away from the users caravan - but close to other campers. That is what I call inconsiderate. We have listened all night to a gennie running at Georgia Bore, until it ran out of fuel about 5am. Totally un-necessary and totally inconsiderate. Sure it was 100m away from other campers but on a still desert night sound travels a long way. Then there was the couple who, despite having a campfire burning all day and a camp oven sitting beside it, had to fire up the gennie for a couple of hours each morning to bake a loaf of bread. Go figure!

As you rightly point out its quite possible to run practically all our gear off 12V, and there is any amount of info on this site to help travellers do just that.

But when all is said and done, for those of us who enjoy the solitude of the bush, the best option is to find a camp well away from the madding crowd. If that is not possible we have to accept that there could be some noise, but hopefully within reasonable limits.

I doubt that John needs to be too concerned - those of us who are aggrieved by inconsiderate noise are probably the least likely folk to engage in direct action, which is not to say that we don't have lively imaginations.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 758276

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:58

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:58
Bob,

I interpret it every time I look in the mirror lol. I'm referring to the drunken yobbo variety. Those who indulge in antisocial and inconsiderate behaviour to the amenity of a camping area and the detriment of their fellow campers.

Here's an example;

An eventful day at Durba!!!

John, well said. It's a sad state of affairs but I atually carry quite a few sets of soft foam earplugs for use when we have inconsiderate neighbours out bush or are at caravan parks.

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758278

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:14

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:14
I think you are lucky to have never been bothered by someone using a loud generator late into the night. We have come across it a few times and it can be very annoying. I know, worse things can happen, and it seems to annoy me more than my wife, so it may well just be me. I don’t mind anyone using a generator as we also carry one for emergencies only, but everyone should practice good camping etiquette, which is all we are asking. This also goes for large groups, tag a longs etc, that can make more noise just by talking very loudly late into the night!
I also like the camping areas that have designated generator use areas set aside, they seem to work.
I have never approached anyone about their noise or taken any action, I just either put up with it, or move on, my choice.
Kevin
AnswerID: 483058

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:41

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:41
I wonder how many of the anti-generator brigade have kids with mini bikes, or under bonnet showers that they run late at night or early morning?

I find having having to listen to other peoples choice of music far more offensive than a modern generator.
AnswerID: 483059

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:12

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:12
I have a fridge and a freezer in my caravan.

I was in a caravan park (no names no pack drill) up in the New England NSW during January, when a storm took out a transformer that left the whole district blacked out for about 16 hours.

About 9am, not knowing how long the blackout was going to continue, and with the owners permission, I fired up my generator, not something one would normally do in a C/P. I was the only one with one on board.

I was very popular for the next few hours, as others without power were very happy to put whatever perishables they could isqueeze into my fridge and freezer.

I reckon many of them have made the investment by now.

Like others have said, out in the bush camps you have to be mindful and considerate to your neighbours with anything that affects their peace and comfort.

Unfortunately, some of those same people just bring their home way of life bush, don't they. I suppose while their bush, their neighbours at home are happy.

AnswerID: 483062

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:14

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:14
If I have to I'll use my generator, but I won't use it at night, and all I do is use it to charge the batteries up.

Quite some years ago we were in a national park in the N.T. and a couple in a Toyota Coaster bus ran theirs until well past 11pm. They were watching T.V. It was a noisy appliance and I think everyone there was thoroughly annoyed.

Anyway, it came to pass next morning, when this couple decided to move on, their vehicle wouldn't start, and in attempting to get it going they flattened the battery.

No-one offered then any assistance and as we vacated the area everyone just drove past them.

As they say, vengeance is better served on a cold plate.
AnswerID: 483063

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:38

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:38
Gee I bet that made you feel good.
FollowupID: 758280

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:58

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:58
Beautiful! What goes round comes around.

Like others I dont travel with a generator, I've often wondered what it is that needs so much power? We travel with one 50 ltr fridge that operates off an auxiliary battery that seems to keep cold for a couple of days and have several 12v lights that provide lights when required. The rest of the time we enjoy the peace and quiet and the natural light of the camp fire.

We cryovac meat & veges and seem to be able to fit in enough for at least a week and enjoy several beers at the end of the day so what is it that people eat or drink that needs two or three fridges kept at or around freezing point 24/7?
FollowupID: 758281

Follow Up By: Member - Travelinglew - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:36

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:36
Paul,

Many people are on the road full time, some by choice, other by need. Not every one pops home every few days and vacuums their meat and not everyone starts their car every couple of days to recharge the auxiliary battery.

And of course, no one camped next to you is bothered by the smoke from your camp fire either.

Lew
FollowupID: 758283

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:53

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:53
"bothered by the smoke from your camp fire"??? Are you for real - what's the point of camping if you can't have a camp fire?

Stuff me stealthy some of you lot seriously need to declutter your lives!!

FollowupID: 758290

Follow Up By: Member - Travelinglew - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:05

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:05
Ah Paul,

I see you have got my point. You are happy with it so every body else HAS TO BE HAPPY with it. You not happy with it then it has to stop.

BTW at no time did I state that the smoke would bother me, just that it may bother others.

Have fun mate. Hope to see you in the bush some day so we can have a laugh together.

Lew
FollowupID: 758294

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:19

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:19
Lew I agree – I love a campfire but I have struck a lot who hate them because it irritates their airways.
Asthmatics have a particular aversion to them – in severe cases it can kill them.
FollowupID: 758295

Follow Up By: Member - Travelinglew - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:43

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:43
Gday Dennis,

Was just trying to make a subtle point here that I think got lost in translation.

Everyone in this country has the right to do whatever they want within the confines of the law but - and it is a big but - with those rights comes responsibilities. Those responsibilities include amongst other things, being aware of the rights of others and trying not to infringe or interfere (in a bad way) with their life and their rights.

I have found over the 60 odd years I have been on this planet, that most people who have a something to say about how other people are interfering in their lives are just not aware of how they are interfering with other peoples lives. All of us as human beings have a selfish view of the world and it takes a lot of courage to look at the world and consider what you are doing to others in your daily life.

Having said my piece I will now no longer comment on this debate in the fear that I may upset someone and that is the last thing I want to do.

Lew
FollowupID: 758298

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:43

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:43
If we choose to camp in an area where generators are permitted, we accept that they may be used and will put up with them.

We prefer to camp on our own, so do not meet campers with gennies often. When we have, they have used them in sensible times and in most cases they have been Hondas which we can hardly hear when inside the caravan.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 483077

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:57

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:57
It takes no effort to be uncomfortable on the road.
We hit the road for 6 months of the year in a 24’ Van.
We have a 40 litre Engle, CF 40 Waeco, TV, Microwave, Airconditioner etc.
We have a 2.4kva Yamaha Gennie - If its legal we use it.
FollowupID: 758285

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:03

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:03
Sorry about the stuffup Motherhen - this followup was supposed to be under Paul B
FollowupID: 758293

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:59

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:59
I have to confess, I'm a generator user but a considerate one - I think! The only issue I have had was asking a ranger if he was concerned about my running genie, it was a case of asking for forgiveness as they were not allowed. He was OK with it as he said he couldn't hear it. It was on Fraser and the surf probably drowned out what little noise it made but we have honestly not had any issues. There have been occasions where I have checked with fellow campers and offered them a power lead to charge batteries or whatever we always turn it off when it's bed time.

It has made camping more bearable for the bride which means that she is prepared to go and I get to go more often - so I claim it is a necessity.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 483083

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:55

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:55
Mick O has summed it up pretty well for me. 9AM to about 4.30PM if you have to. But the hour or so before sunset and after is a special time of the day which if possible, is best if free from extraneous human generated noise and left to enjoy the sounds of nature.

It is interesting that the last 2 main posts (from Motherhen and Beatit) have been by Bushtrackers owners. These caravans, with their significant solar and battery capacity, are basically self sufficient without needing an external 240v power source, except to run an airconditioning unit. And yet, similarly equipped, they take a different approach. IMHO, the microwave is something that can easy be done without, given that they are fitted with a 4 burner gas hob, grill and oven. For the few things that need 240v, eg medical equipment, they are fitted with a large-ish capacity inverter.

Now of course, if you are inside the van with everything shut and using the aircon, you won't hear the generator, Honda or not. Good for you - but not for the rest of us who go bush to experience the natural sounds of the bush and, if desired, can actually occupy themselves with quiet conversation, a book, or music through earphones.

The original post suggested a sign "Generator used here". I wonder how an alternative sign "Generators not welcome here" would be received :-)

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 483091

Reply By: Fab72 - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:05

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:05
Earplugs are cheap enough.

I don't use a gennie, but they don't bother me either. In fact, the people with gennies usually have the coldest beer too.

Fab.
AnswerID: 483094

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:53

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:53
We went away for 6 nights over easter. On the fifth night the battery decided to have enough. I was half way cooking dinner with young daughter in shower. I hate the genny and felt bad about using it at that time. Wasnt long before we ate cleaned up and turned it off. In the future we will continue to use the gen while the shower is on. The pump kills the battery.
AnswerID: 483099

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:05

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:05
Sharon,

Lucky you have bought some Solar Panels now ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758341

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 00:43

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 00:43
Thanks Kev for the link, your shopping rubbed off you can understand why solar panels were pushed up our wish list very quickly lol.
FollowupID: 758487

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:48

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:48
Been told my snoring is heard more than the generator.
AnswerID: 483121

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:56

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:56
I think the whole issue relates to personality. Some are considerate types and think of others and know how to live together peacefully, whilst others couldn't give a stuff about anyone else...."I'm alright,Jack".

Clearly this issue can relate to far more than generators.

Personally, I have no issue with the things, whilst I don't see the need to have one, I respect others to travel however they wish. All I expect is similar consideration that I would have towards others in the way they conduct themselves...generator or no generator.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 483123

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:20

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:20
Well said Mark- I reckon you are right on the money there.
FollowupID: 758346

Reply By: Member - john y - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:05

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:05
just to be clear my reference to their presence related to those who travel despite health issues . not generators
AnswerID: 483125

Reply By: ChrisE - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:04

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:04
I don't think you need to be too concerned as there was only a couple of the posts that were "threats" in my books (I hope you weren't thinking I threatened a fellow camper as that was not point of my post).. The majority of posts were either trying to point out alternatives, how to secure them or possible reasons why it went missing. So most of the post was not as negative as you are suggesting.

Maybe look at the glass half full not half empty - great to see so many suggestions as to alternatives and might save the original poster some cash along with all the other benefits!
AnswerID: 483287

Follow Up By: Member - john y - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:53

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:53
G,Day Chris I think that you have perhaps misunderstood the point I was trying to make that related to people interfering with other people's property. You posted your intention clearly if you were in that situation. It would be a sad day for us all if someone over reacted to such interference and confrontations caused adverse reactions.
I too welcome the opinions of others offering their alternatives
FollowupID: 758546

Sponsored Links