Wind deflector for Rhino basket

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:06
ThreadID: 94882 Views:2258 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
When travelling on longer outback trips I don't really want to tow a trailer. My solution was a set of roof bars and a rhino basket. The problem? Its noisy and really hits fuel consumption! Any ideas on the best way to make a wind deflector. Tried the local sheet metal fabricators, but couldn't get in past the guard dogs (guess they have enough business to keep them busy!) I thought of some polycarbonate which I understand can be heated and then bent. Aluminium is another possibility. Anyone done anything similar?

Any ideas where to go to get the materials or to get something made at a reasonable price?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: spudseamus - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:23

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:23
this is an old chestnut -- are the bars sq in shape ? if so attach that black pipe insulation around the front bar and if the basket is a mesh wire type put a cover over it -- that will soften the wind noise ! as for the fuel issue the best way of dealing with it is knock 5 to 10 ks off your speed ! this will do more than fitting any bit of sheetmetal to the top of the roof !
AnswerID: 483073

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:31

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:31
one thing to think about is PVC pipe.

Find some of the appropriate diameter and slit it up the middle on a saw bench or carefully with a jigsaw, you can use plumbing fittings for the ends..cut the back of them away likewise.

remember it is easy to heat mould so you could leave attachment tabs and shape them with heat.
wipe with thinners and then prime with thinners bassed primer and paint desired colour.

cheers
AnswerID: 483074

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:32

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:32
OH another option for the bars..if the bars supplied are square or rectanguar, replace them with oval shaped "cattle rail"

cheers
FollowupID: 758279

Follow Up By: gra.cahill - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:32

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:32
Thanks,
Hadn't thought of using pvc pipe. Any suggestions on how to heat it to mould it to shape? Might also be possible to use a large pipe outside a smaller sealed inner pipe that could be used for a source of non-drinking water.
FollowupID: 758282

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:02

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:02
A heat gun will easily deal with small parts, but a bit of an ask to bend full sections bigger than 50mm though.

Plumbing pipe is not as forgiving as electrical conduit so a carefull touch is required.

the heat gun will be fine for bending out tabs and shaping attachments.

personally not all that keen on water that high

rewmember the rated load of a good rack is a bout 50Kg per bar and most roof structures are only rated at 100kg total.

cheers
FollowupID: 758286

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:07

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 13:07
Given your tight time frames I would highly reccomend Brown Davis in Bayswater. Kevin Sharp is the go-to man.

Brown Davis Automotive

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483079

Follow Up By: gra.cahill - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:19

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:19
Hadn't thought of Brown Davis. My side steps, underbody protection and long range tank come from them. I will give them a try. Thanks.
FollowupID: 758296

Reply By: gra.cahill - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:37

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:37
Problem solved. Local TJM suggested a plastic fabricator in Bayswater. Had a deflector made from dark grey polycarbonate. Just measured the size required and the angle (using a free iPad app!) and they bent the polycarbonate for me. Looks quite neat and has made a substantial difference to wind noise. Hopefully that will translate into lower fuel consumption!
AnswerID: 483913

Sponsored Links