Transfer Case jumping out of gear 100seriesCruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:20
ThreadID: 94885 Views:5682 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am after some advice on my 2006 100Series 5 speed Auto Cruiser. Have just traveled up through the Centre towing our Traveller Van which weighs approx 3Tonne. As i was pulling out of the Servo at Glendambo there was a hell of a bang and my rig stopped in the middle of the road.
I discovered the Transfer lever had jumped into neutral. Pushed it back into High and travelled all day with no further Problems. Next day pulling out onto road same thing happens.
This time i cut a fork stick and jammed lever hard forward into Hi and continued on to Darwin. Today i replaced the Engine mounts as there was a bit of movement under load.
Never got 10metres without the stick and it jumped out of gear again so back to the drawing board. If any one knows a reputable Auto Transmission place in Darwin could they please let me know.
Also if any one has had the problem of the Transfer Case jumping out of gear could they please advise on the fix.
Regards Duke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:38

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:38
Hi Duke

There is a thing called a 'dedent' spring that has a spring and a ball bearing. This simple device holds you gear stick in gear. When the spring gets too weak over time it might allow the gear lever to jump out of gear.

It is a simple thing to replace. On the side of the transfer box up top near the gear lever is a sideways nut and inside hole. In the hole is a spring and a ball bearing. Replace the spring from toyota spare parts. Cheap.

Had this problem years ago with my mates landcruiser.

Of course it could be something worse. If it is easy to hold it in gear it will probably be the dedent spring. If it is hard or impossible to hold in gear then serious problems inside the box.

Hope that helps

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483119

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:17

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:17
HI Serendipity,
Thanks for your advice but i think it may be be the latter.
The Bus has done 120,000 Kil and of that it has towed our Van approx half of them Kil.
There are no unusual noises coming out of the Transfer Box, it Just wants to jump out of gear. Tried holding it in by hand and there is a fair bit of bachward force on the gear stick.
Regards Duke
FollowupID: 758368

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:37
Sorry if it is a major problem.

I had a 4x4 years ago that had the problem in reverse gear - major failure in the box and there was no way I could hold it in gear -even with my foot forced against the gear stick.

My mates 4x4 with the failed dedent spring - yes it wanted to jump out of 4x4 but you could hold it in gear by hand. We changed the spring and all was good again.

Hope you are able to repair.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 758380

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:37

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:37
Now you have to be really careful. If it is a detente spring,a dishonest mechanic may claim the whole t/case needs a rebuild.

If the t/case really does need a full rebuild,I cant see it being disastrously expensive.

Draining the oil out and carefully examining the colour of any particles found in the oil should give some indication.
I cant see a detente spring causing metal particles to shear off.

I wonder of worn shift forks could cause it to jump out of gear?
FollowupID: 758386

Sponsored Links