prado 3ltr Diesel tappet adjustment

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:39
ThreadID: 94888 Views:4317 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know where i can purchase the tool for compressing the valve to fit the tappet adjusting shims? ie apart from a Toyota dealer.
Regards
higgos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:53

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:53
Snap On/Bluepoint make one but to be honest...the Toyota one is easier to use...and trust me...it is a fiddley job even with the right tool.

Fab
AnswerID: 483090

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:37

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:37
I'm not sure you'll find an aftermarket tool in Oz. It will most likely have to be sourced from the U.S. Sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and pay the local Toyo-rorters price. Try this following site. Type Toyota into the search engine and see what comes up.

http://www.handsontools.com/Engine-Tools_c_719.html

You do know it's a pr**k of a job, on a par with antique Jaguar tappets, don't you? You'll possibly need shims, and you need to know the shim sizes you're going to want - and you can't order them until you know what you've got now. I understand the shims are about $17 each.
AnswerID: 483104

Follow Up By: marc p - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:24

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:24
How can you have tappets and shims for valve clearance? Do you adjust the tappets, then measure the gap, then change the shim? Is the tappet a coarse adjustment and a shim the fine?

Sounds very stupid to me.
FollowupID: 758331

Follow Up By: marc p - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:41

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 19:41
Sorry guys. Just a matter of terminology. I have bucket and shim adjustments on my bikes and traditional tappets on cars and bikes past. Ignore please.
FollowupID: 758335

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:25

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:25
G'day marc p
You seem unfamiliar with engine valve train designs. They don't have two methods of adjustments, only one.
The term "tappet adjustment is a term used by many but it isn't accurate and doesn't indicate the reality of the situation.

Traditionally tappets are at the end of a rocker arm and the cam the other end. Cam can be in the middle on some makes.
The valve is opened by the ratio of cam to pivot to valve, hope this makes sense to you.

With a bucket, sometimes the shim is between the bucket and valve stem and others have the shim in a recess in the top of the bucket. The cam presses on the bucket/shim and directly pushes the valve open.
Cam profile and lift size is quite different for each type of arrangement.

Some engines have a screw adjustments for the valve clearances and others with a, bucket/cam have a shim adjustment.
Many toyotas have the shim adjustments as do lots of other brands.

The cam to bucket clearance has to be measured so a shim of the correct thickness can be calculated when the actual shim is removed and also measured.
Sometimes a thicker one is required and sometimes a thinner one.

Most people draw up a chart of all the valve clearances as they are in the beginning and then remove all the shims from the engine and keep them in order.
When the shims are measured, the appropriate thicknesses are used in the correct positions and only some have to be purchased to get the remaining valve clearances correct.

If people go to a motor wreckers they can buy shims from dead engines of other Toyota models and use them to suit the clearances which need shims.

Ross M
FollowupID: 758348

Sponsored Links