Reversing Camera's

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:36
ThreadID: 94898 Views:6124 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Sick of looking at all of the reversing camera configurations on Bbay And have finally come here.So guys I am asking your advice what are you's using for reversing cameras and Monitors I am looking for at least two cameras one on the back of the vehicle 2007 Toyota Land cruiser workmate Wagon and the other on the back of a 20ft van. But I would prefer not to go wireless as I believe there is a chance of break down of signal correct me if I am wrong Also I have never had a reversing camera before so know zilch about them or what to get so I am totally in your hands so to speak
Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 22:18

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 22:18
Terry,

you might do well reading Jim D's post on the same subject posted a few hours ago.

Reversing Cameras - Post 94884

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483135

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24
Thanks Mick
Interesting reading but still does not solve my problem as to what system to get as I am mainly looking for a reversing camera back of wagon and also back of the caravan
AnswerID: 483139

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 07:13

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 07:13
Terry

I have a reversing camera in the vehicle (standard) and it only comes on when in reverse. It uses the screen in the dash which is the radio, navigation etc.

For my van I have a separate system which is wired (need a 12pin socket - seven do the usual and the some of the others are used for the video). On this one I have a separate small monitor I hang off the windscreen. This allows me to have rear vision behind the van at all times. I can't do without it now. Vehicles get right up behind the van and are unseen in conventional mirrors.

Alan

FollowupID: 758390

Follow Up By: JimDi - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:26

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:26
Hi Terry,
Have been going thru the same process as you lately. I have been around all the outlets seeking advice price etc. This answer will be of no help to you but in the end I just ordered a set off EBay. I think it will do my job,it is a screen with two cameras and enough cabling to do the job,fingers crossed.

The bloke building my slide on will install the cameras as he builds the unit. The reason I purchased on EBay was simply price. Driving around Brisbane and attending the recent 4WD show got me nowhere, seemingly.

I found in store prices frightening and install prices way up there. The units I required were coming in at around $700 plus installed. Purchased a set from EBay last night for $180.00 including delivery. Could have purchased cheaper but was unsure of what I was buying. Now I just hope my dollars dont disappear into the atmosphere.

The whole process reminds me of flat screen TV prices. My first flat screen TV cost around $5000,eight years ago. Just replaced it the other day with a bigger one at $730.00.
Regards
Jim
FollowupID: 758416

Reply By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:04

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:04
Hello Terry

I had a camera fitted to the rear of my van when it was made and since put one on the rear of my Patrol. The camera is wired, when towing the van I simply un-plug the car camera on plug in the van camera. This is only because I am to lazy to run 2 separate cables. This works well for me.

The camera system is a 4 pin camera system I have added a link to EBay for to to look at.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-CCD-4PIN-IR-Cameras-7-LCD-Rear-View-Monitor-HGV-Reversing-Lorry-Truck-/251038697680?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item3a731288d0
AnswerID: 483152

Reply By: Shelto S1 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:34

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:34
Terry,
Try Safety Dave in Melbourne. I bought a complete set-up off him at the Queensland Caravan Show last year. Installed the camera, cabling and monitor into the car myself and camera was installed on van when built. It has a 7" monitor, camera that fits just over the number plate and gives a wide angle view, excellent when backing up to hitch up van (never fails). Also a camera with audio that fits on van and gives a longer range view. Audio is excellent when backing up van. All cabling was included.
I have contacted Safety Dave on a couple of occasions and I find their after sales service and information/advice to be first class and I would not hesitate to recommend this company or their product.
Cheers
Gordon
AnswerID: 483211

Follow Up By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:12

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:12
Well gents sorry for the delay but first up thank you for your comments and words of wisdom and advice it has all been very useful.In the finish I Followed up on Shelto S1 'S advice and sent an email (or book) to Saftey Daves on what I required. He got back to me and after a discussion a deal was made so now eagerly awaiting a package
Thanks Gordon
Again thank you all gents / Ladies
Terry
FollowupID: 758517

Follow Up By: KYLE S - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:28

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:28
Terry,
I am is same boat.
Did you go for wireless or cable for vehicle camera to monitor?
If cable does it seem relatively easy to install wiring?
How much did it cost?
Thanks Kyle
FollowupID: 758790

Follow Up By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:56

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:56
KYLE S
i have got my camera set up ,one camera for both the 4 x 4 and another for the back of the caravan plus a seven inch monitor all cabling and a very heavy duty woza cable. Also have the added advantage of audio from both cameras.I went for cable over wireless so as I do not have to worry about any electronic interference and as a result a blank screen when I need the picture the most.Cost for my set up was $550.00 and will be easy to install cables join together and only one Pos and one Neg send Saftey dave an email also look on his site explains types of cameras and shows how to wire up.look at his site KYLES YOU WILL FIND IT HELPFULL

I do not have any thing to do with the above mentioned store or know the man but was very helpfull
tERRY
FollowupID: 758852

Follow Up By: KYLE S - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:49
thanks Terry
Kyle
FollowupID: 758908

Sponsored Links