Are Jayco Caravans the best ? Well what is then ?

Im looking at a Jayco heritage caravan or a Jayco Westport 18 ft to 22 ft 1996 -2005
I would like to get some poeples thoughts about these vans.
I really like the look lay out and finish of these vans .
Are they good Quality ,Strong ,Tow well , Hold the value .
Shower .toilet .Aircon .suspension .brakes .Interia ,kitchen
If any one can give me some feed back and a run down about these vans the good and bad would be great
Cheers Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 13:45

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 13:45
In answer to your first question: You have got to be kidding. Your second question: How long is a piece of string?

There are plenty of vans out there but it just depends on what you specifically want, that is where you start looking. Firstly, on road or off road and work from there. PRICE. Tow vehicle etc.

All the best for your quest.

Merv
AnswerID: 483181

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 14:29

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 14:29
When I asked a friend who was at times a caravan dealer, caravan repairer, and is currently an insurance loss adjuster, ie an expert, he said that Jayco has about 70% of the market, that yes they do not build the vans as strongly as some others, but that he has not seen a greater amount of failures with Jayco than with other brands. His conclusion was that Jayco are built adequately for most people.

Its like a Hyundai vs a BMW . One has much more advanced engineering, but what is the usage going to be?

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 483183

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 17:50

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 17:50
According to Jayco they have 45% of the market:

"The Recreational Vehicle (RV) industry travelled well in 2010, according to the most recent sales figures released by Australia's largest RV manufacturer, Jayco. Jayco, which holds a 45 percent market share in the RV industry, had a record sales year in 2010 with more than 9000 motorhomes, caravans, pop tops and campertrailers coming off the line at Jayco's state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Dandenong South, Victoria..."

Cheers
FollowupID: 758447

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:18

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:18
G'day Philip A
I bet the Hyundai is for more reliable than the BMW, cheaper to run, insure/ replace. Advanced engineering means unnecessary complication in most instances.

Ross M
FollowupID: 758481

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:27

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:27
I have a had 24’ Jayco 2008 model Stirling from new.
It’s not an offroader and it’s too large to be taken far off gravel roads and I had it lifted by underslinging the springs.
Brought it on the recommendation of a colleague – who is on his 3rd Jayco – his comment was that they were good value for money.
I have looped Australia twice, plus an additional 15 to 20,000 ks around WA - includes a few thousand ks of corrugated roads.
Just replaced the wheel bearings, suspension bushes, brake pads and had the drums skimmed.
No leaks, no cracks, no loose cupboards – My next one will be a Jayco.
AnswerID: 483195

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:33

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:33
Like you Dennis, I have had no problems of any kind. Maybe that is because we respect the capabilities of our caravan. A lot don't. A few years ago Jaycos were somewhat unfairly, IMHO, including some here on EO, labelled as Juncos by some in the caravan fraternity. But then, they had probably never owned one, or treated it with the respect it deserved.
FollowupID: 758467

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:58
Yeh Fred,
I will probably get moderated by The Thought Police for this post.
Met a dizzy old blonde on a recent trip – she called Jaycos - Junkcos, Coramals - Caramels, Nissans – Missings. Nice girl and I could see why the old man married her but it wasn’t for her brains.
On the road and on the internet you get a lot of uninformed comment.
It’s a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

FollowupID: 758472

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:41

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:41
I have had six caravans in my lifetime, and at present have a Jayco 17ft full caravan.

I have previously had a Millard x 2, Viscount x 2, and a Male Trail (Custom built in Murray Bridge S.A) They were all good caravans, selected for their size and layout, and suited and served my needs perfectly. Never ever any construction problem with any of them.

This Jayco was selected because it suits my needs and my tug perfectly, not because it was a Jayco. That is what you need to consider. What do you want to use it for ? What are you going to tow it with, off road, remote travel, size of family, only you know the answer to that.

This Jayco is well constructed, very easy to tow, not too heavy @ 1600kgs, and is the exact layout I had been looking for for years, short of getting one custom made. It has followed me through out a lot of Oz excluding WA, that's still to come :-) but it is not suitable for off road. Gravel roads yes, but nothing worse than well maintained, good gravel roads, without inviting trouble. If that's your want, then you need to look higher up the quality scale, not mention the cost.

I goes without saying, if I could afford a purpose built off road caravan, along with a suitable tug, then that's where I would be. In the mean time, I have what I need and can afford, and happily enjoy my travels.

As far as value, I think you'll find most second hand caravans hold their value, extremely well, simply because new ones are so expensive.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and enjoy your travels.

Fred

AnswerID: 483197

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:14

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:14
we have a 2004 heritage and very happy with it - have had the axles underslung to give us an extra 4'' clearance - take it on dirt roads and bush tracks as we like free camping - did fill it with red dust in WA but this was soon fixed by filling the hose inlet holes in the floor with expander foam - good value for money imho.
AnswerID: 483205

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 21:42

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 21:42
i had a 2007 destiny bought new, after its initial hiccups and 100 missing screws installed it was a good van, but when we went to trade i decided on a crusader as its build quality and the little things that usually get shortcut were not plus it was cheaper than a jayco equivelent. i have had 1 jayco but i think it will be my last.
AnswerID: 483227

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 01:02

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 01:02
Depends on your definition of the best?

I will give Jayco their dues and they are arguably the best value for money. But the best - full stop? Well, thats like saying the Kia is better than a BMW, cheaper for sure, sorta does the same job, but if it wasn't for price what would you prefer to be driving?

I have an offroad van that is 2-3 times the price of a Jayco. To look at them side by side the average punter would reckon the Jayco offers more, period. But take them off road and see what happens and then you understand what the real differences are.

Have been there, done that with Jayco type vans (had a Windsor Rapid) and while they are great value for money, they simply do not compare to true off-road vans. Very few really want the abilities of a true off-road van so value for money means different things to different people.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 483243

Reply By: Trevor G - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:44

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:44
Well guys thanks for thats great feed back diffrent views is what i like .
I have a old turbo diesal 60s series looking at couple dirt roads. But leave the 4wd to the Toyota not the van lol .Camping is a big plus as with the van as im not into paying for caravan parks .Might as well put the tent up in the back yard lol . I love the lay out in the Jayco front kit /toilet and shower at the rear .east west bed and a nice eating area as a club lounge set up .The heritge has a lovely fininsh inside . Only the wife and i so looking at a 21 ft jayco heritage .Will be most on road with some gravel roads not out there to wreck anything . Thanks again for all your input cheers Trev
AnswerID: 483266

Sponsored Links