Geraldton and points north

Hi - missus and me are off across the Anne Beadell in early May from Coober Pedy with Geraldton as our first destination in WA. We are taking our Cub off-road camper.

I wondered if anybody has camped in Geraldton recently and whether anywhere comes particularly recommended with a swimming pool and good amenities, views etc. We'll probably be there a week.

We're then heading up to Broome and maybe Derby before returning to Eighty Mile Beach then to Kunawarritji and on back to the Alice

Anybody camped at any especially quiet, remote (or at least out of the way) little known places along that section of the WA coastline from Geraldton to Broome/Derby?

PS - if you telll me I promise I won't tell anybody else! (-:]

[PPS - I have got Camps 3]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:43

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:43
The pool will be a bit chilly in May in Gero.

Have fun.

AnswerID: 483198

Reply By: new boy - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 18:43

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 18:43
There are several caravan parks in Geraldton close to the 3rd biggest Pool in the world closest being Sunset right on the beach followed by Belair gardens at Point Moore May starting to cool off.Best Views are at Drummonds CP but a drive to the swimming pool.
South of Gero Sandy Cape near jurien Cliff Head South as C/H North is burnt out but might be ok in May need to have a look .North of Gero , Coranation beach ,Gladstone ,Bush bay ,New Beach all before Carnarvon and should be in Camps 3 .Cant help north of that.
AnswerID: 483204

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:49

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:49
Camped for a night at Gladstone Beach a fortnight ago, very little firewood and pretty exposed when the wind got up.

If heading into Steep Point we stayed at Tamala Stn right on the beach which was fantastic, especially as we lucked it with no wind to speek of.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 758526

Reply By: RodnSue - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:15

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:15
Hi 222
we travelled WA last yr over 5 mths top to bottom. There's sooo much to see.
We really didn't stay any where that little known but........Point Quobba, 50 k's north of Carnarvon is especially pretty if you love snorkelling. The "Aquarium" is teaming with reef fish & coral in relatively protected & shallow water. You can view whales on their way north just 100 mtrs off shore. I heard that Quobba station a little further nth along the coast was a great place to visit as well but we didn't go there. (am not sure why as we have an fully off road van)

Do you have to stick to the coastline? Have you got time to visit Karijini National Park near Tom Price? It's worth a visit if you like gorges.
Barn Hill station, on the coast sth of Broome is busy but a nice experience.

I have Camps 6. Some places in your camps 3 may have closed or there may be new camp spots not in your book. Would it be worth spending another $60 to get the updated version & that way you won't miss out on those great places not in your current volume. Camps 6 also allow free updates until 2014.

I'm sure some of the well seasoned travellers on this forum have more recommendations for you.
cheers & safe travels
Sue
AnswerID: 483216

Reply By: Iain M - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 19:53

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 19:53
We had a quick trip up the coast from Geraldton a couple of years ago.
Enjoyed the Anne Beadell getting there as well.
Came home and read more about the Batavia as there is a great museum there has lots of interesting stuff. Wish I had read it all 1st!!
The HMAS Sydney memorial is very moving tribute to those that were lost serving on her during the war.
Great fish & Chips at Spinners Take Away. LOL.
We had an awsome camp at Gregory's Camp on Cape Peron on our way to the Kimberley area.
Cheers
AnswerID: 483397

Follow Up By: 222 - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:48

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:48
Hi each - thanks very much for your replies. We'll certainly incorporate as many suggestions as we can

George
FollowupID: 758702

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 14:02

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 14:02
If You can't get as far off the coast as Karijini, consider Millstream, which is much closer to the coast and a particularly interesting region in the Pilbara district. Reasonably short run from Karratha.

Might pay to visit Onslow and Cossack on the coast before the mining expansion changes it all. Among the few locations showing evidence of the early settlement in Norwest WA.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483450

Sponsored Links