sand driving stockton beach

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:43
ThreadID: 94916 Views:2107 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

We, Martin and Jessica (Dutchies) and our Troopy, are in Newcastle at the moment (we are traveling through Australia) ,we never have been sand driving but there are some beautiful dunes here at Stockton that we want to tackle. It's a bit of a late notice but, Is there somebody who want to help us to start off or have a fun day together. We don't want to spent to much money on big 4wd company tours. We really want to do this in the next few days. We have all the recovery gear (maxx traxx, shovel, straps etc.)

Hope somebody will have fun with us!

Cheers,

Martin and Jessica
martijnjessica@yahoo.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 18:01

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 18:01
Go out there and have a good time......you won't need recovering if you drive sensible....let your tyres down to approx 15 psi....keep your momentum up ...and enjoy yourself ..
AnswerID: 483202

Follow Up By: IronMan - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:12
We did Stockton today.

As Gronk noted, air down to about 15psi all 'round. You will need a $10 three day pass, available from the garage at Lavis Lane amongst other places. Don't let your ambitions exceed your abilities, but have fun!
FollowupID: 758455

Reply By: Wainy - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:33

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:33
There's a phone number on the entrance gate (assuming it's still there) for beach recovery. Jot it down as you drive in.
And as tempting as it seems stay out of the puddles between the beach and the big dunes. They are QUICK SAND!
Have a practice run on the dunes - remember up and down, never across - then hit the beach. Not fast but keep up the momentum and make all changes - steering, braking - gradual.
It's a great place!
AnswerID: 483210

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:44

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:44
Just remember that sand is the most demanding surface to drive on and will soon show up any problems with the car, such as overheating. If you see the temp gauge go up AT ALL , stop immediately and run the car at a fast idle until it cools down.

Remember to lock the front hubs.

Be VERY careful on sand dunes as many people end up rolling , particularly going down as if the car goes sideways you must gently accelerate not brake.

Some of the sand dunes are quite steep and have a sharp angle at the bottom, If you bury the nose it can cause the engine to go through the radiator. This is why when I have driven in REAL deserts I never go up and down sandhill faces but along the rise.
If you stop on the flat or especially uphill ther eis NOTHING to be gained by spinning the wheels. Try to back out gently, and if this doesn't work lower the tyres further.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 483212

Follow Up By: Penchy - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:35

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:35
I was under the impression this couple are looking for a travel partner - not sand driving tips. Do you people even read these things or just try and be "know it alls"?
FollowupID: 758516

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:17

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:17
Suggest YOU read their post.
Quote ,we never have been sand driving but there are some beautiful dunes here at Stockton that we want to tackle Quote.

Do you suggest that tips would not be appropriate seeing they are totally ignorant of sand driving, and we all know the record of European tourists in Troopys on sand.

IMHO it is remiss not to try to give some advice based on our experience, even though they have not responded. Using your logic, if someone said hey I have just bought a submachingun but have never used a gun and want someone to go shooting with me, you would just go .

I really think anyone totally ignorant of sand driving should take a course before going to a place like Stockton. Beac h sand is one thing dunes are another.
Regard s Philip A

FollowupID: 758534

Follow Up By: Penchy - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:18

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:18
IMHO using the submachine gun anaolgy is about as accurate as me saying you shouldnt go swimming in the ocean in WA as you are going to be attacked by a shark. Yes Europeans dont have a great history of driving troopys on sand, but do you have to paint everyone with the same brush? The impression I got from the post was that they are looking for driving mates, not sand driving tips or recovery contact info. If they need sand driving tips they can google it and get the same old responses as above, but you cant google driving mates.
FollowupID: 758537

Follow Up By: Member - Martijn - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:30

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:30
Thank you guys for the info and tips! We went to stockton the following day and had a real great time! everything went well!

thanks again!

Martijn and jess
FollowupID: 759257

Sponsored Links