loading shonkymaps on Garmin nuvi 2350

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 22:53
ThreadID: 94989 Views:5378 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is it possible to load Shonkymaps on the Garmin Nuvi 2350 GPS unit? I can load the Shonkymap info on my laptop but am not sure how to get it on the Garmin. The 2350 does not have a SD Card and all instructions that I can find tell me to use an SD Card to transfer it to the Garmin. Is there clear info anywhere on how to do this? or is it not possible for the cheaper Garmin units.
Hope somebody can help me with this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 05:40

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 05:40
shonkymaps will work on your nuvi.

"...The 2350 does not have a SD Card..."

Perhaps not but your GPS willl have a microSD card slot.
My advice is to always install any third party map data to external storage.
If you have any lockup problems at least the card can be removed. Past experience. )-:
Buy a 2GB microSD card. Not sure about Australia but about $7 here in NZ.

Google "How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit"
The first link should help - GPSFileDepot

Nev

AnswerID: 483506

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:21

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:21
Hi

Yes the 2350 has a micro SD card slot - the micro SD card is not supplied with the unit so OP will have to purchase one.

If you read the various posts in this thread you should be able to figure out how to create a map for gps via Mapsource/Basecamp...though there is also a link to download the actual gmapsupp.img file required (big download - including contours) which will save you creating one. If you choose this path - create a folder on the mSD card called Garmin and place gmapsupp.img in there.

Shonkymap instructions/downloads

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 758764

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:13

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:13
Alfie : Two options 1st call the garmin help desk , they are very helpful 2nd is GPS australia forum very helpful to

Don't know !! doz shonky stand alone !!!!

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483515

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:03

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:03
I have a shonky map on a micro SD and it works on my Garmin 1490. AFAIK you have to buy a new mcro SD and adaptor , as it will not copy onto a Garmin Topo micro SD.
You can just copy the download directly to the micro SD card on your computer through Basecamp or Mapsource and the Garmin will recognise it when you insert it.
You go to "maps" info and the Shonkymap will show up. Then tick it.
Regard sPhilip A
AnswerID: 483551

Follow Up By: Alfie - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:55

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:55
Hi Philip (and others that have replied to my question)
I bought a microSD card, copied all Shonkymap folders on it and inserted the card in the Garmin. But what now? How do I go to "Maps" info? When I go to 'myMaps' in the 'settings', only the CN Aus & NZ NT map shows up, not the Shonkymaps. Could it be that ShonkyMaps only works with Windows XP, and not with Windows7 (which is my OS).

All very frustrating; hope you can enlighten me

Regards

Alfie
FollowupID: 760119

Sponsored Links