Flat fold camp chair

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 00:39
ThreadID: 94991 Views:3636 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My last old flat fold high back spring action camp chair has had it!

It only cost about $10, maybe 8 or 10 years ago but the value end of the camp chair market has been taken over by the $7 Bunnings cheap and nasty.

Whenever I go and look at camping chairs I baulk at having to spend $50, $80 or even $100+ for something that used to cost $8-10.

Is there anyone who still does the high back spring action flat fold at a sensible price? The most comfortable, compact & durable camp chair there ever was.

Grateful any feedback.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:06

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:06
I've not seen them for a couple of years now, when we went looking last year for new chairs the market is now dominated by the useless umbrella folding types which break and are not very comfortable. Yes you can pay big dollars for them too.
We found the only flat type freely available are the Coleman ones in avariety of shapes and sizes, very comfortable but the larger ones are bulky and hard to carry.
Looking at the US Coleman site recently I get the feeling that they are going to be phased out as well as they are no longer present on the site, they only have the director type and the stupid umbrella ones.
Visiting garage sales and council cleanup days are your best bet for the spring loaded flat chairs as they no longer seem to be made.
AnswerID: 483514

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:49

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:49
We have had four of the sling/umbrella type chairs and both failed in some out of the way place so I had to sit on a milk crate till we find another.
We now have Coleman chairs with arm rests. The Coleman pair plastic arm rests broke and Coleman replaced tem with the same chair but with metal arm rests. They are comfortable and warm and recline to almost flat.
Yes they are $100 but I think they will outlast ten reject shop fold ups.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483518

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:09

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:09
Hi Paul,

Bunnings over here (ACT) had the type of chairs you describe, as we got our replacements there less than a year ago, and for about $10 each. Not high back though. We have had 3 sets of those cheap chairs over the last 20 years and they have performed very well despite having had a lot of use. We have a special place where they fit so when they wear out we have to search around for identical replacements. A couple of years ago we splashed out on the big comfy Coleman chairs with lots of padding etc. But they are bulky to store and carry, slower to set up and fold down and not so easy to move around camp, so the "el cheapo" chairs still get plenty of use..

But having had a look at both Bunnings and Big W online catalogues I see your problem. Suggest keep looking around, or try the op shops. The fold flat chairs do occasionally disappear from the market, then make a come back.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483521

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:36

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:36
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll just ave to spend the dough! But thanks for the feedback.
FollowupID: 758859

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:23

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:23
Spend the money, do you sit on a $10.00 chair at home?
AnswerID: 483526

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:35

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:35
Kulkyne have a range of chairs here....

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Camping-Chairs/

AnswerID: 483527

Reply By: 1533rl - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 21:35

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 21:35
Paul, we have been doing the rounds to buy new chairs and just by chance we were looking in our local Big W store. They do have the fold flat camp chairs, unfortunately I only put one up for comparison purposes and did not look at the price. They are definelty still around, but most assuredly they are no longer $10 items.
Good hunting
Peter
AnswerID: 483596

Sponsored Links