Upper Colo to Kurrajong

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 06:41
ThreadID: 94993 Views:2850 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, has anyone driven from Upper Colo to The Slopes/Kurrajong (Comleroy Road) lately. Friends want to go there in a 2 wd rental campervan. I see it's unsealed with some very sharp curves. Would that mean steep, narrow, creek crossings?
Trip is planned for September.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 07:27

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 07:27
The insurance on many rental vehicles does not cover driving on unsealed roads. So as a start your friends need to check with the renting company if they are covered on unsealed roads.

AnswerID: 483508

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:52

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:52
I drove that road last year and then it was quite ok. In the last while we have had a lot of rain and I expect there will be damage. The road is regularly used and seems to be quite well maintained. I would expect that they should have no problem. If the road has problems then there are other ways round so they should just plan to go ahead.
cheers
AnswerID: 483533

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:55

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:55
If the weather is fine I will go for a drive that way at the weekend. The troopy needs a run and the Colo river should look good after the rain over the last 2 days. Will report back if I get a leave pass.
cheers
FollowupID: 758795

Reply By: willem269 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 15:05

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 15:05
Thanks so much guys. It's up to them if they take the chance. Already told them about the insurance. I reckon it will all come down to the weather. Any first hand experience would be great, Alastair.
Cheers,
Willem
AnswerID: 483543

Reply By: rags - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 17:41

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 17:41
Willem ,this is an area i know well being a resident out that way. The upper colo rd from the Putty rd ,or Colo river rd from Putty rd are both doable in a 2wd drive car and in fact daughter takes dogs to river for swims in her Suzuki swift from this way. From upper colo rd you can continue upstream to where you find Comleroy rd on the left,from here you head up a hill climb that is over the ridge and back down to the causeway crossing of Wheeny creek and then another climb up the hill untill you get up to the top of Comleroy rd where you find outlying properties, this road is also posible to do in the campervan with caustion,. All the roads are maintained gravel roads,thy can get a few ruts etc .The problem is that as mention above with the current wet weather no one will be able to drive it as both the Colo river and Wheeny creek will be flooded.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60233/IDN60233.563033.plt.shtml

But given that you are talking about a trip in Septenber then the weather may not be an issue and with care i can't see why the camper can't do the trip.
They have 2 options for camping Upper Colo reserve and Wheeny creek campng

http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/community/parks-and-recreation/upper-colo-camping

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0051

Russ
AnswerID: 483565

Reply By: willem269 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 18:01

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 18:01
Thanks Russ, amazing how the water rises.
AnswerID: 483568

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:37

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:37
Willem,
Just got back after having a drive around - nice to be back in the troopy.

I was surprised at how good the road conditions are in that area after the rain we have had. There are some ruts and pot holes but nothing to worry about. There is water across the road at Wheeney Ck but only ~4" and it is a formed concrete crossing. The water will drop before long.

I drove the roads you asked about, plus several others including the road/track through to Bilpin and the route from Upper Colo. All is ok and plenty of 2wd vehicles driving through. Provided your friends are sensible they will have no problem unless the weather is perverse between now and September. Worth the effort and the views in places are good.

If your friends want some hints on other drives around this area let me know. There are some great drives along the old Convict road heading north from the Hawkesbury River. Happy to give some directions.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 483844

Reply By: willem269 - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:51

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:51
Thanks Alistair, I'll forward your message (must translate it for them). And I"ll tell them to be careful and ask around before they drive in.
AnswerID: 483856

Sponsored Links