Arb and Waco fridges.

Hello has anyone know what the problem maybe and how to get it fixed?I have 2 x 12 volt fridges and they will both only work on 240volt power.The waco is a bit old but the arb was bought Aug Sept last year.I am in Gove NT and the cost to send to Darwin and back would set me back near the price of a new one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:00

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:00
With the limited information you've supplied I can only guess the most likely cause is not enough voltage at the fridge when running on your 12V system. Could be:
- battery not charged or damaged
- wiring between battery and fridge is too small so too much voltage drop
- large voltage drop through the plug

The Waeco plugs are not the best and it's not uncommon to get a large voltage drop across the plug. I was having problems with my fridge and measured a 1V drop across the plug so I have replaced it with an Anderson plug. I have read of a number of other people having the same problem.

Get a hold of a multimeter and with the fridge plugged in and turned on measure the voltage at the battery and then at the inlet and outlet of the plug. You'll have to dismantle the plug to have the wires exposed before you plus it in to enable you to do this.
AnswerID: 483513

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:03

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:03
John can you elaborate a little about the 12V side. That is the obvious starting point from what you have described.

Did you test them both at the same point for the 12V
Where is it ( ie back of car, cig lighter etc etc)
Have you checked any fuses, will that outlet run anything else like a light?
Do they work with the engine running?

Not sure about the ARB, but waecos have a low voltage cut out. Make sure that is set to low. If it still doesn't work try the bypass switch will will make the compressor run continuously. That could give you a hint.

AnswerID: 483519

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:23

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:23
Hi, Have had similar trouble with my Weaco & also with the Engels. With the Weaco firstly found it was the plug. Blown fuse, not seating properly & also low voltage cutout not allowing the fridge to work. With the Engels also blown fuse but mainly a worn out cord (30+ yrs). Charged battery. Replaced plug on Weaco with an Engels screw in male & female. Also female socket for the Engel. New setup has no fuses & can't work loose so no problem now. Bill
AnswerID: 483528

Follow Up By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:25

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:25
Also new cord for the Engels. All up less than $100. Bill
FollowupID: 758776

Reply By: JOHN A7 - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 21:27

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 21:27
Hello I want to thank -andoland,BooBook and bill f (qld) for their advice on my ARB and WACO fridges.I will definitely try the suggestions as I work remote and I need them.So men many thanks again and thank you ExplorzOz for getting it out there again.Cheers. John A7
AnswerID: 483791

Sponsored Links