Towing an Expanda with Nissan Pathfinder

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:23
ThreadID: 94997 Views:3082 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I have a 2008 diesel Nissan Pathfinder and a 2008 Jayco Expanda, unladen weight is about 1500kgs. The Pathfinder is fitted with a Nissan towbar which states that a WDH should not be used with it. We had thought about taking off the Nissan towbar and fitting a Hayman Reece towbar with WDH but have rung a couple of places who have said that they will not fit a non genuine towbar as Nissan says it is not recommended. When towing we find that the suspension is soft in the rear & we get a bit of sway. We are going to fit polyairs in the rear to hopefully cure the suspension issues but are not sure if this alone will be enough to cure the sway as well. Does anyone have any experience with this type of set up or can offer any advice as to our best options? We are off around Oz in July so really need to have it all 100%. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:17

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:17
Scoots.
Problems with the Genuine Nissan tow bars on the Pathfinder have been widely reported with and without a WDH.
The only nissan model that probibits the use of a WDH with the Nissan tow bar and Hayman Reese Tow bars etc is the X-trail as the chassis is not strong enough to withstand the twisting forces applied by the use of a WDH.
The Hayman Reese tow bar is quite suitable to use with a WDH on a Pathfinder and as such it would be my suggestion that you change the tow bar to a HR and use a WDH.
If you have any doubts phone HR for confirmation.
Cheers, ozjohn.
AnswerID: 483537

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 22:21

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 22:21
This link outlines problem mentioned by ozjohn
Pathfinder problem

Pedro
FollowupID: 758878

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 01:11

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 01:11
Go to a Hayman Reese fitter. They will be only to happy to oblige.

Nissans recommendation just states that they recommend that you do not use WDH with their bars. They make no recommendation about fitting other makers bars. In fact I had a HR bar fitted by the local Nissan agent when purchasing my D40.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483711

Reply By: scoots68 - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:11

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:11
Thanks guys, I think we will just go back to plan A which is to remove the Nissan bar & find someone to fit a HR & WDH.
AnswerID: 483725

Sponsored Links