Can someone help us !!!!!

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 20:39
ThreadID: 9500 Views:1622 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody,

First of all I wish everybody a GREAT 2004.

We are comming to Australia next April with our own car.
I can't find a insuarnce company over here, so maybe one of you can give me a adress of a compagnie that will insure my car overthere.

And we are looking for someone who is planning to drive the CSR sometime this year and who would like us to join.

Greetings

Mieke & Erik
The NetherlandsLive today like there's no tomorrow
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:34

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:34
Im thinking that it could be a problem, they hate Aussie 4wds as it is.

I would suggest it may be cheaper to hire a car over here from BRITZ or one of the 4wd hire companies. Freight alone would be $ bleep loads...

www.dgainsurance.com.au
www.racv.com.au
www.nrma.com.au
www.cgu.com.au
www.tcis.com.au
www.uniquecar.com.au
www.shannons.com.au
AnswerID: 41753

Follow Up By: Stonebreaker - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:29

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:29
Britz will cost megabucks too.... If going for longer than say 3 months, shipping your own car costs less. Was thinking of shipping my car [ View Image], but that would cost considerably more than shipping a LC. ;-((
FollowupID: 304227

Follow Up By: Member - Erik - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:08

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:08
Thanks for the response.
We will be staying in Australia for at least 6 months so hiring a vehicle costs about 10 times as much as shipping my own car to Australia.

Live today like there's no tomorrow
FollowupID: 304228

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:18
Hi Erik
Not sure about the insurance but try Trucksters suggestion,
I would also check on the 80scool site ie: is your radiator suitable for Aussie conditions also need to have UHF & HF Radio or a Sat. Phone for an emergency.
this is a remote area re travelers and also the time of year would be important,
as it can get VERY HOT out there.

Cheers Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 41759

Follow Up By: Member - Erik - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:11

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:11
Hi Bernie,

UHF& HF radio is on board.
We will be travelling I think between May and July probably.
Thanks for the advise on the radiator, haven't thought of that.

GreetingsLive today like there's no tomorrow
FollowupID: 304229

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:28

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:28
Hi Eric
You may need to call ,email the transport department in the state you are landing the car in, to check that you vehicle complies with
Australian Design Rules (ADR's)
You may also need to register the vehicle in that state????????? Which may cause some problems as you need proof or residency???????

Anyhow for armed is for warned and a bit of research may save a lot of heart ach!!!

Hope this helps
Brian
AnswerID: 41789

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 14:16

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 14:16
Normally if a car is coming for a short period it doesn't need to comply with ADR's, only needs to if the car is staying here. The laws have relxed a fair bit in that regard. Left hand drive is now OK in most States. You do not need to register the car here, I have seen plenty of overseas regisited cars here with holiday makers. After saying that it may pay to check with the Australian Commision in the country you live in.
FollowupID: 304266

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:51

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:51
Mieke & Eric, Have a great time travelling this wide land in your own vehicle. Hundreds do it every year - no great drama - easiest and quickest way is to go through a motoring group such as Royal Automobile Club (or equivalent in Netherlands) - they will have all the info needed. You travel on a carnet and do not need to register or comply with anything in Australia other than being roadworthy, current vehicle registration in your home country, comprehensive insurance (talk to an international group - again RAC may be of help), current international drivers licence (for both of you if both driving) and sufficient funds to satisfy immigration for your visa application. Engage a shipping agent for the actual moving of the vehicle. I presume you will arr. Fremantle first - Customs in Freo deals with heaps of this type of import every week. Also for any assistance / info contact the WA 4WD Assoc. and they will be only too happy to help. rgds
AnswerID: 41808

Sponsored Links