Submitted: Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:46
ThreadID: 95009 Views:1908 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
My first posting and a bit of an introduction.
I'm Rob, 56, my wife Kim is 44 and our youngest (of 5) son William (Bill) is 10. In September we are taking off for 9 weeks from Sunbury Vic over to SA and up the Stuart Hwy to Coober Pedy, Uluru, Kings Canyon, up to Darwin then across to Cooktown via Hughenden & Undara National park. Then down the East coast back home. This is our first serious trip (more than a week). We have a pretty open itinerary and will be taking things as they come. We are planning on staying on the bitumen

With the older kids grown up (do they ever?) we have once again embraced camping going on at least 4 trips each year, We have a Southern Cross 10 x 13 canvas tent for Kim & I and a hiking tent for Bill.
I have just ordered a trailer to carry everything as all our past camping has been out the boot of our car and Thule roof box. We will get a 7 x 4 heavy duty, 21" high sides, 2 x jerry can holders & 2 x gas bottle holders with a lock up flat lid, extended draw bar and swing out tailgate that we are planning on fitting a Drifta kitchen.

Have recently purchased a 40L engel and 75AH thumper to keep the food (and beer) cold and have adequate 12V and 240V lighting as well as a vacuum packer and dreampot.

Our tow car will be a Volkswagen Passat Diesel wagon, due to arrive in a couple of weeks. This wil give us some more room over our current Jetta sedan and coupled with the trailer, should have ample room.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward keeping the fridge & Thumper in the boot for easy access with an Anderson plug to the trailer if we want the option of putting it in the trailer.

Any recommendations on what we should take and/or places to visit on out trip are greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now
Rob,Kim & Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 22:21

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 22:21
Welcome Rob, to you and all the gang, you will get lots of help here , so enjoy the forum.
AnswerID: 483598

Reply By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 06:25

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 06:25
Welcome, Rob, Kim & Will
Hope you have a great trip and also try and get to a National Gathering as they are always a great event and a chance to meet lots of great people.
Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 483604

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43
Welcome aboard, Rob, your're set up sounds good. I think you are correct to carry the fridge in the car..always there when you do daytrips from your camp, & much
less disposed to damage from riding in a trailer.cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 483644

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47
Thanks Ray & Oldbaz.
Am in the process of acquiring the odds & ends that will be needed as this will hopefully be the first of many extended trips. Need to sort out a decent first-aid kit and some god insect repellent. Any recommendations?

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 758922

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 13:17

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 13:17
Rob, have a look at the St Johns Ambulance website for first aid kits...as for
repellant..I use Bushmans.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 758924

Sponsored Links