Uhf in 100 series Cruiser

Submitted: Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:24
ThreadID: 95020 Views:2408 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi would like some advice on the best place to mount a uhf radio in a 100 series there does not look to be a lot of areas to mout one.

Cheers, Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:55

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:55
I replaced the double DIN radio/cassette player that came with the 100 with a single DIN CD player. I then placed the DIN UHF radio in the DIN sized space below the CD player. This is a very common way of mounthing the radio.
An alternative would be to get a UHF radio that has all the controls inthe heandset. Then you could hide the body of the UHF behind the Dash.
When I get around to replaceing my UHF with a 80 channel I may get this sort of radio as I think in any vehicle I eventually get to replace my 100 series it will be very difficult if not impossible to mount a DIN sized UHF radio.

AnswerID: 483656

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 13:34

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 13:34
I bought a GME TX3540 (I think) with the controls on the mic. I mounted the main unit under the dash above my left foot. I then made a small stainless bracket that is mounted on the centre console next to my left knee for the mic. It is easy to see the screen, easy to reach when needed, the cord hangs neatly next to the centre console, and nothing gets knocked.

If you want pictures please send your email address and I will email them to you.

Drew
AnswerID: 483658

Reply By: Paul F2 - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 18:43
The previous owner of my 100 series installed the UHF and it's pretty nice. I've got the uniden model with the detachable face. the base of the unit is concealed under the big trim panel that surrounds the gear knob, and the face of the uhf is mounted at the top right of that panel (so sits on top of the panel surrounding the gear knob, to the top right). Then the mic is mounted on a clip to the left of my leg.
AnswerID: 483683

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:09

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:09
We mounted ours vertically on the passengers side of the center console.

An alternative would be to get a center overhead console that will hold a radio and put it there. The downside of this is the damned mike lead dangling down. Even though it has a clip it may be difficult to clip the cable up when bouncing around on rough roads. I would prefer not to have it down near the floor because of water ingress in deep creeks. But that's about the best we can do. It simply pulls out to put on the passengers seat away from any water. Luckily none in the cab as yet.

Phil
AnswerID: 483687

Reply By: cobber - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 00:11

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 00:11
I have an Icom Pro 400 and placed mine on the side of the centre console by my left knee, it works ok for me.
AnswerID: 483709

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:17

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:17
Tony,
I mounted mine in a roof console from Dept of Interior since I wanted space for other things as well. Otherwise I would use one of the small units with the controls in the handpiece and just mount the remote unit under the seat or behind the dash. There is a bit of space that can be accessed easily by taking out the glove box.
cheers
AnswerID: 483719

Sponsored Links