Fun motorhome/campers for rental

Submitted: Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 16:15
ThreadID: 95025 Views:2262 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
There are 2 of us (a couple) and we are both 36 - we are looking to set up a small motorhome rental company in Perth where we live, We are serious about doing this and have the funds. The forum is a good way for us to do some research from people who know their motorhomes and we are hoping to get some of your knowledge.

We have very little motorhome / Camping experience's at all we believe this dose not matter we are passionate about this and hard working and will make this work.

Our market is 25-45 years old miners. We are not thinking rentals like regular motorhome rental company - this rental is more geared for fun, Where the guys can have some serious fun on there week off.

What do you think would be popular and fun motor homes to start with keeping in mind we have 80K to spent on at least 3 motorhomes each, that is total 240k. Also keep in mind maintenance cost.
We are looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 21:21

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 21:21
Welshey.
I have several motor homes and would not be letting any young person drive them. I recommend you talk to an insurance company before you go any further. Eric
AnswerID: 483701

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:06

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:06
Welshey - The camper van market is very competitive, and I think your targeted market is wrong.
"25 to 45 yr old miners" aren't usually motorhome or campervan hirers. After living in dongas in isolated regions for extended periods, 98% of miners want to get home to family, get some major social contact with the opposite sex, and experience "normal" life.
Very few of them would want to go camping in motorhomes or campers, after being cooped up in dongas for weeks.

Motorhome & campervan hirers need to be scrutinised and selected very carefully. The destruction rate of hired vans is high, and if you have a van damaged by careless hirers - even if it's insured - it will be out of action for an extended period, and you will lose much income. You make every attempt to ensure that your hirers are the right type of people, who look after your vehicle.

The "Wicked" camper van company targets young people, but they have an enormous amount of van damage to cope with, because young people usually don't care about looking after hired equipment.
The best market to target is older people who drive slower and take more care with items. These people also usually have the money to pay for hired vehicles.

The miners you're targetting aren't necessarily good hirers. They might have piles of money, but a lot blow it, as fast as they get it, too. Don't think that you'll have no drug problems with miners, either - they use drugs as much as any other part of society, and they're targetted by drug dealers, because they have big money.

The mines might have no-drug policies, but drug use is still rife on the mines, and in mining camps. You never hear about it, because the big companies don't want their image tarnished, and because other workers cover for them. Drug-test cheating packs are big business in the mining industry, they use hidden bags of clean urine to cheat the tests.

My qualifications to state all this? A stepson and stepdaughter currently working in the mining/oil & gas industry, and my many years of experience as a miner, mining contractor and business owner, employing up to 100 employees.
AnswerID: 483735

Sponsored Links