Cocklebiddy Tank

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 00:17
ThreadID: 95037 Views:1844 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

When I passed by Cocklebiddy recently I went to the tank, which was just a filled in rockhole probably expanded by dynamite.

Image Could Not Be Found

I could have sworn when I passed by in 1997 that there was a whole water catchment structure adjacent to the rockhole. A roof of corrugated iron draining into a holding tank which then by way of float valve filled the rockhole. There are no visible remains of this that I could see.

I imagine that the Roadhouse is there because of the rockhole.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Photos would be great. Am I thinking of the right spot on the Eyre Highway? It would satisfy my curiosity to know.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 04:16

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 04:16
Hey Al
I got a feeling it may have been somewhere else.
I spent quite a bit of time around there back in the late 80's and I can't recall anything around then.

The other thing that makes me think it wasn't there is that rock is limestone based which does not hold water in its own right and the surface of the water table is about 100 meters below ground level, so the tank would have had to be lined to capture and hold water near the surface.

They tend to pump from the aquifer when needed as its a never ending water supply, the roadhouse does this for its water supply.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483713

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 16:56

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 16:56
Hi John,

The rock may be limestone, though it is definitely of a more denser variety than that at the coast.

I remember the setup being a few hundred meters east of a roadhouse, I was so sure it was Cocklebiddy. I also looked at Caiguna, wasn't there either.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759028

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:15

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:15
Equinox - This blokes blog, showing his exploration of the area might help put your mind at ease.
I don't recall the setup you speak of, being there - but I must admit, any time I've been through Cocklebiddy, I rarely had time to look around the place properly.

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/65306.875/12/2011/Baxter_Cliffs__Hampton_Tableland_and_some_Western_Nullarbor_Tracks.aspx

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483732

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 16:51

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 16:51
Thanks Ron, interesting blog :)) I may have to talk to this guy.

It was my father who told me the Roadhouse was there because of the Rockhole. He went through in the 50's however can't remember if the setup was there or not.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759026

Sponsored Links