Hema HN5i GPS

Hi there , thinking about purchasing a Hema GPS after my GARMIN NUVI proved to be less than helpful on our trip through the Balladonia track to Israelite Bay and the Fisheries Track to Thomas River.
Apart from losing Satellites frequently it also ran out of memory! Lot of help when you in the wilderness -Shonky MAPS basically saved us with a bit of guess work :-)
Any thoughts out there about the Hema ?
Cheers Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:27

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:27
Hi Mike

I have used my HN5 in many remote places and when in Ozi Mode, it is just as good as running a laptop. I think they are fantastic and I only use mine for our trips away and it will always be the first thing to put in the car. The then Route 66 I found not very good, and still use my Garmin Nuvi for city driving, but they have now dropped the Route 66 and now use iGo and have not heard how it compares.

There is the either the love them or do not like them groups, but you will find then ones that actually own one and use them in the bush, love them.

I would hold off for another week or so, as the new HN6 is out around the end of April and will sell for $799.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483744

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 18:15

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 18:15
Stephen you will find that Igo is very good, regarded as one of the best standalone turn by turn nav programs apparently.
We've been running Igo for years on cheap Chinese GPS's.
FollowupID: 759040

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 14:47

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 14:47
Hi Mike,

My HN5 has served me well and in remote areas.
I use paper maps for planning then the HN5 to keep me on the right track. Can't be bothered with way points etc. I figure that if the track I want is not on the HN5 then I'm not too sure that I want that track anyway! LOL
Working the menus can be a bit tiring so it stays on the moving map and I have another custom-made GPS unit that displays coordinates and trip distances/times etc. so there is no need to fiddle with the HN5.

Did have some initial trouble with the USB/12v connection so I modified it.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 483751

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:19

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:19
*I figure that if the track I want is not on the HN5 then I'm not too sure that I want that track anyway! LOL *

Hiya Alan

With that mindset mate you'll find you can miss out on some really good camp sites....

I like looking down tracks that either A: not on the map or B: that are on the map and says there's no camping in that area,only too find there is a couple of great camping areas by a river..(i dont mean where a sign says no camping or private prop either)...

Goodluck
FollowupID: 759109

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:37

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:37
Hi Swaggie,

............ "you'll find you can miss out on some really good camp sites."

Errr, well no, actually I won't find out at all, will I? I'll never know! LOL

I have actually missed out on some really good places, but I didn't know so I don't really miss them anyway. As Yes Minister said "I don't know what I don't know" and my grandmother always said "Ignorance is bliss". There has to be some wisdom in there somewhere. LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 759110

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:10

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:10
gooday Mike : when I was looking at the hema maps they did seem to be much different to garmins oz topo maps ......but that can depend on location .

I guess it depends on what your GARMIN NUVI was ..how old etc

For $ 800. you would expect the hema to be good .

There was a good thread on this a few month back worth a read ...

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483787

Follow Up By: rare - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:20

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:20
There is a HM6 apparantly being released. Cant comment on it thou
FollowupID: 759060

Reply By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:41

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:41
Hi Mike ,another option to the Hema unit which I have been looking at is the VMS700 unit.You can get it loaded with ozi and Hema maps.I like the larger screen but am still undecided.
Regards
Hillel
AnswerID: 483794

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:50

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:50
Hi Mike
I run a Garmin Nuvi as a street navigator, but also run a 7" generic Chinese gps, for about $100 from Deal Extreme, and loaded it with OziExpCE, which runs Hema maps, along with topo, Spatial Vision, Rooftop, Meridian etc maps.
I have also recently loaded a menu system that gives me the choice of either iGO or OziExpCE upon gps start up.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 483817

Reply By: Member - Mike H9 - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 19:33

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 19:33
Thanks everyone for your info.Food for thought; will weigh up the options and look at the bank balance lol
AnswerID: 483858

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:25

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:25
Mike,

I brought a VMS Touring 700HD GPS on Saturday for $599 from Jason of 12v 4x4 and Camping 18 Blackthorn Rd, Eden Hill WA 6054. He is an authorised dealer. His details are on VMS's website.

Cheers
Rod
AnswerID: 483892

Sponsored Links