Adelaide to Marree

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:33
ThreadID: 95062 Views:4037 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give us an idea of the time it take to get from Adelaide to Maree. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:48

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:48
Geoff - 8 hrs is the indicated travel time if the conditions are good. However, it's crucial to check weather forecasts and the road conditions advisory before setting off. As with all outback regions with a large amount of unsealed roads, conditions can change rapidly.

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads#outback (click on "View Larger Map")

The RAA of SA also provides good 4WD maps and information. There's a link to their website in this following brochure.

http://www.australiatravelmarket.com/southaus/public/pdf/sa_drive_holidays_12.pdf

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483820

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:05

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:05
G'day Geoff B
The distance is around 650km and if you are just travelling and not sight seeing it you can do it in a solid days drive.

If you have a cvan and travelling normally two days but that is still not smelling the flowers.
With a cvan it will take about half a day to get out of Adelaide traffic and to begin to feel free of the racing rats.
If you go up through Burra, Peterborough,Orroroo, Hawker it is a pleasant trip.
You will see much more of the farming this way instead of going straight up to Pt Augusta.
It is worth a look around Burra and other towns as there is quite a bit of history associated with them.
About 3/4 of the way between Burra to Peterborough is a place called Terowie and it is an old town,also with history. I think you can camp there for free at a reserve near the main street, not far from the Loos.
Have aq good trip.

Ross M
AnswerID: 483823

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:12

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:12
Only the last bit above Lyndhurst after Leigh Creek is gravel.
FollowupID: 759086

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:46

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:46
Some of that is bitumen now too.
Maybe 30km?????

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 759095

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:06

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:06
Thanks Everyone. After hightailing it across the Nullabor and visiting rellies in Mt Barker (near Adelaide) we will then go straight to Marree for the holiday to begin ... Birdsville track, Hay river track, Binns track, savannah way etc. Of course we have to do a flight over lake Eyre from Maree first which is why i'm trying to work out times so i can book flights.. 6 weeks, five days till we're off. not that I'm counting!
AnswerID: 483827

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:28

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:28
Geoff, if you go for a flight from Marree with Wrightair make sure you aren't going to fly in the old, and I mean very old poorly maintained Cessna, dull Burgundy and white paint. Although the doors were shut you could still view central australia through the gaps around the doors.
It is a shocker.
Despite an earset, essential, it is soooooooo noisey inside it makes all on board sick. I was OK, used to noisey enviros but the other 5 passengers all became ill.

Other options are available and I suggest you investigate flying from other inland centres to experience the big lake or with another airline if that Cessna is the one you are allotted to.
Keep your options open.
We booked well ahead and didn't get a good aeroplane to fly in, although the lake experience is definitely worth seeing.

If you get near William Creek they have flights from there too.
While we were in the air at the lake there was 12 or 13 other aircraft also touring the area around L.E.
If you are at Marree on a Saturday night the meal at the big shed/general store is good value.
Ross M
FollowupID: 759105

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:02

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:02
We did the helicopter flight from Marree. Heaps better than a plane as the windows you could say are "huge".

On the way from Adelaide you may want to overnight at Wilpena Pound to go for a walk and check it out.

But if you don't then it is an easy drive from Adelaide to Marree.

Phil

FollowupID: 759107

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:48

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:48
Thanks Guys,
We already have a packet of "Qwells" in the glovebox because we have heard that the little planes often make people sick. I'm glad to hear that you can do a helicopter flight instead as i'm quite partial to a helicopter ride!
I have heard that around Wilpena pound etc is really good, but i think we will do that on another trip. We joke that we want to do all the outback tracks while we are young(haha) and when we get old and retire (in a couple of years) and get a caravan we will see all the other great parts of oz!
I'm sure we will be in Marree on Saturday night, so i know what we will be doing for tea!
Oh, and for the record, poor Geoff is at work today and this is his wife Sue. lol
FollowupID: 759123

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:39

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:39
Geoff and/or Sue.
There are two main routes from Adelaide to Marree.

The first being through the Clare Valley and the conglomerate of small towns along the way. Although beautiful country, the constant speeding up and slowing down to go through the towns will give you the sheets if you're trying to make good time.

The fastest way is to head up Highway 1 towards Port Augusta, then hang a right through Stirling North, Hawker and up from there. It's a touch longer by road, but way faster and more fuel efficient. Nowhere near as picturesque, but if time is critical....it's the way I go.

Adelaide to Marree can be easily done in 7 hours. The Lyndhurst to Marree section has a lot of bitumen these days...especially past Farina. Even the dirt sections are an easy 100kmph road in dry conditions. (Just slow for oncoming traffic to not flick stones up).

Advice regarding fuel. Top you tanks up at Lyndhurst (suggest the pub). It's ALWAYS cheaper than Marree usually by about 10-12 cents per litre.

The pub at Marree, with its new owners is said to be the bee's knees...disregard any reviews that predate Oct 2011 when the previous owner was there. Accomodation there is clean, tidy and well priced and the meals, although typical of outback pubs, are good sized and tasty.

Above all.....enjoy.!!!!

Fab.
FollowupID: 759211

Sponsored Links