fishing the coral coast

Heading up North in Aug/Sept.Adelaide, Pth, Coral Coast to Broome, then inland.

Plan on doing some beach fishing but no idea what tackle to take. Sinkers, floats, size hooks, what do I catch etc?

No info on Google apart from fishing charters. Any help appreciated. I'm assuming my squid jigs for Yorke Peninsula are no good up there :)

Cheers,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 18:24

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 18:24
gday gossy

knowing what the fish can be like up the coast here in wa youll need to take some heavy gear. Not so much on the sinker side off things,some good sand sinkers are enough. Make sure you get good quality gang hooks and some decent wire traces as the tailor can get preaty big and they bite through line fairly easily. When ever your not sure ,big is best. Good quality braid is also a must, if you speak to a local shop in the area they will put you on the right path, probably better to get what you need when you get there so your not carryin a heap of stuff, also a good pair off booties are always helpfull if you venture on to the reef.
Enjoy your trip.
trev
AnswerID: 483929

Reply By: Member - Josh- Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:22
This post should be moderated and removed imediately... either that or you should invite me along lol...
The way I remember up there was the higher up you get the heavier the gear. Depends on what your fishing for but I had a couple of rods I took. I ran 30 pnd braid on one and 60-80 pnd braid on the others. I always had trace as well. I was always chasing the biggest fish I could find so others may say different.

Have fun
Josh
AnswerID: 483958

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:32

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:32
hehe. Yep 12 months in the planning so can't wait. Have a week around Eyre Peninsula at the end also before heading home to Adelaide.
FollowupID: 759249

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:29

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:29
try a forum called fishwrecked.com for WA fishing info
AnswerID: 483960

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:31

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:31
Thanks for that. Looks like tailor as the way to go (good fighting fish). I have just bought a telescopic surf rod so it doesn't take up much room inside the car. I'll make sure I get some good size hooks and heavier line.

Cheers!
AnswerID: 483985

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:19

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:19
If you're going to be going through Kalbarri try staying at the Murchison Homestead and bush camp along the Murchison River. Plenty of bream, whiting and the odd mullaway. Tracks from the station take you to the coast North of the river mouth and big tailer and mullaway and maybe a spanyard can be taken from the surf. We got big tailer from the surf and the river gave us a good mixed bag.

80 Mile Beach is a magic spot for Threadfin Salmon.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483998

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51
only have an overnighter in Kalbarri but we will have time on 80 mile beach for some fishing :)
FollowupID: 759261

Sponsored Links