Great central road -- camping spots

Submitted: Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 951 Views:2801 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We intend to travel to Uluru this comimg July.
Was planning overnightcamps at 1 Niagara dam, 2 just short of waburton somewhere and 3 Lasserters cave. From reading trek notes it now seems the cave is now non camping. Can anyone advise of suitable spots to stay after Niagara dam?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: James - Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
I travelled from Uluru to Perth in January this year. Lasseter's cave was a bit of a disappointment anyway. It is true that there are signs saying you cannot camp there. We camped at Giles one night. We also stayed a good camping spot west of Warburton. There is a section where there are several tracks leading off to the North of the road. I have the GPS coordinates if you want them. A lot of the camping areas are quite rocky so we bent a few tent poles on a particularly windy night. Let us know you email address if you would like to communicate directly. It was an excellent trip and not too difficult. Good luck, James.
AnswerID: 2799

Follow Up By: Terry - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
James, thank you for your comments. We need you to post another response re the Uluru so that we can get contact you. We would really appreciate the co-ordinates.
Terry
FollowupID: 1250

Reply By: Hilly - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
I concur with James on this one Terry. I did the trip in July 2001 and towed a Coromal 440 magnum the whole way. We pulled of the road each day at about 4pm. There are numerous tracks and we drove far enough to avoid the noise of any nighttime traffic and looked for a clearing to set up and build a fire in. Make sure that you allow 2 - 3 hours to walk through the village at Gwalia. We loved it.
AnswerID: 2836

Reply By: Lizard - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
We stayed at Niagara dam in 2000 , then camped at the unpronouncable roadhouse (Tjukayria) camp ground (was okay) then Giles - for showers etc , was not too bad - had some friends who had a problem with late night 'visitors' when camped off the raod in a gravel pit - camp well off the road is my advice .
AnswerID: 2850

Sponsored Links