HELP!! My lightforce hid upgrade keeps flickering

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:56
ThreadID: 95106 Views:3344 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys need your help. I installed a 55w xenon internal ballast hid upgrade kit into my genesis 210 lightforce lights. Turned them on to test them let them warm up and ince they had warmed up they start flickering. So i went for a drive to test them out thinking it would go away but they kept flickering. So i pulled them off and pulled them appart to check the connections were all good and they all had solid connections. Why would they be flickering? Not enough power? Or would the relay on the lightforce wiring harness be to small? Hoping that someone can help as i really want to get it sorted. Any help will be appreciated heaps.

Cheers

Adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:31

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:31
I'm not an expert but you need a minmum gauge wire. I know I had to have my wiring replaced with a thicker gauge but I can't remember what the size was, I had my Autoelec do it.

Someone else's recommendations "Ideal you just want a good quality multi-core cable in the minimum gauge recommended for your current power requirements. You lights are 55W each right? I would use 14 gauge at a minimum for driving both of these and 12 gauge to give you some room if the need ever arises.

Multi-core copper cable is pretty low on resistance as it is and over the short distance that you are going to get to the driving lights, the effects of a voltage drop are hardly going to be noticeable. Even more so with yourself having HID lights as those are electronically controlled and even if they got 10V, they would still output full power by drawing more current.
AnswerID: 484001

Reply By: Muntoo - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:01

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:01
Are both flicking or just the one?

Poor quality kits will flicker for a few reasons.

May be the globe, may be the ballast.

Problem will never go away.

If they are full digital slimline kits then i'd say the globes are buggered. Send them back mate.
AnswerID: 484040

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:29

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:29
Replace the upgrade kit
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484103

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 14:28

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 14:28
In my experience it could be arcing between the high voltage wires inside the ballast unit. Or between one of the wires and the metal case. New ballast required!
AnswerID: 484377

Sponsored Links