Keeping cryovac meat

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:42
ThreadID: 95116 Views:17110 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
Once the meat has defrosted in the cryvac bag how long will it keep in the fridge in the bag.
Hope someone can help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:57

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:57
Provided that the seal is still intact I cant see why it shouldnt keep in the fridge for the same amount of time you would keep it unfrozen (ie a few weeks for boneless red meat, a week for chicken and maybe less for fish). Why not refreeze it - again assuming the seal still holds. Vacuum packing is just a way of keeping oxygen away from the meat/food and slowing down oxidation which is what causes food to deteriorate.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484039

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:39

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:39
Refreeze meat? I though it was unwise to refreeze meat because of potential bacteria buildup.
FollowupID: 759293

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:56

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:56
Hi Bill,

There seems to have been a bit of a rethink on this in the last few years. Have a look here. Seems it is safe but there may be some loss of quality.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759296

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 20:13

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 20:13
Thanks for the link Val. I will stick to my no refreeze nevertheless. cheers, Bill
FollowupID: 759307

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:36

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:36
I never understtod this sisue with refreezing meat - i think iyt comes from the old days where you defrosted it by leaving it on the sink

if its defrosted in the fridge there shouldnt be an issue with refreezing alyhough physical degradation can occuer due to ice crstals puncturing cells releasing fluid
FollowupID: 759319

Reply By: BJ & Reen- Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 19:40

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 19:40
Gday Michelle is the meat in its full piece or cut up in meal size if its still in a full piece say a full rib fillet it should not b frozen ,if its sliced into meal size cryvac then frozen it should be taken out of the bag as soon as it is defrosted so it dosnt lay in blood and eaten in a couple of days.
What we do if we have a cryvac cut say rib fillet, striploin, rump or what ever we leave it a couple of weeks in its full piece then cut into meal size and cryvac then freeze that way u can take out what u want when u want but dont leave in cryvac bag as the blood gives it a sour taste.
Been in the meat game for 40 years hope this helps
BJ
AnswerID: 484054

Reply By: desray (WA - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:23

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:23
Why have you frozen the cryovaced meat? Dont you freeze OR cryovac not both? The meat keeps for weeks cryovaced in the fridge without freezing
AnswerID: 484068

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:43

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:43
Thats wot I thort too.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 759321

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:19

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:19
We vacuum seal our meat then freeze it to extend its life if we are setting out on a big trip. Also if you happen to loose power on your fridge the meat will still be OK. Its just making doubly sure about meat supplies.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759327

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:57

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 21:57
We've travelled with cryovac frozen meat for several years; no problems. In fact if you want to take sausages, mince, diced meat etc it needs to be frozen first. We discovered this in the 90's from our local butcher who could not pack the above mentioned meats for us unless they were frozen.

Three weeks is the time we have used, but not for chicken; our fear really.

Di
AnswerID: 484076

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:30

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:30
Hi Michelle,
We always used to have our meat cryovaced and frozen by our butcher. But his advice was that once frozen cryovaced meat was defrosted its life was relatively short. In other words, the long-holding benefits of cryovacing had been negated by the freezing. It can stink a bit when you open the bag but for lamb and beef, draining off the blood and giving the meat a rinse down is a big improvement. Don't even think about it with chicken :-)
Louise
AnswerID: 484082

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:10

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:10
I have found a good cut of meat such as a fillet steak, looses a bit of quality if vacuum sealed then frozen.

Vacuum sealed meat will survive at least a couple of weeks if kept in the fridge, without the need to freeze it as well and probably longer. My trips are usially limited to a couple of weeks maximum, so I just cater for that.

I am now freezing less and less meat after vacuum sealing it.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484114

Reply By: gordon_adel - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:20

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:20
Just came back from a 3 week trip. Had the last of my Tbone steaks that where cryovac'd and they were just fine. Froze them before the trip but just been in eski with ice ever since.

So, definitely 3 weeks I'd say.
AnswerID: 484127

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:36

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:36
While on the CSR i a few years ago we had power problems with the waeco and our meat thawed. But when we sorted the problem out we refroze the meat, even the chicken and it was fine. We like to cryvac and freeze all our meat when traveling, and when you put it in the fridge part to thaw, you dont have to worry about blood dripping throughout the fridge.
Sue B
AnswerID: 484128

Follow Up By: michelle m6 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:38

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:38
Thanks Sue for the info
Michelle
FollowupID: 759363

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:44

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:44
I'll preface this by saying the "meat" was not cryovaced, and it's arguable if you can call sausages meat anyway, but I got a bad case of food poisoning in Halls Creeks many years ago - all from eating sausages which had thawed then refrozen in a friend's Engel. He said later he thought he noticed one or two had a green tinge when they were cooking. Appears I got to eat them. Unfortunately I didn't know about the thawing/refreezing or green tinge until after the event but I did find out the true meaning of projectile vomiting! Ah, memories (you reading this Terry?).

It probably depends on the temperature the meat gets to when initially thawed but you'll have to excuse me when I say I will never (knowingly) eat meat which has gone through a dual thawing action.
FollowupID: 759420

Sponsored Links