TOTAL Oils...anyone using them?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 20:08
ThreadID: 95121 Views:1788 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I see a range of TOTAL oil drums around the place these days, throughout several workshops in the South West of WA...

Anyone using them or know anything about them...specifically for my 1HD-FTE baby???

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:18

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:18
Andrew,
Total will be ok. They have been around in Australia since the 60s or 70s. I think they are a french company from memory.

They are a main stream fuel/oil company and I think they market elf oil as well.

If you google them I think you will find all you need to know.

I find it easier to use the main brands. ie. Caltex, Shell, Mobil or BP as they are easy to obtain in most parts of Australia.

RA.

AnswerID: 484099

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:37

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:37
There are lots of upstart oil suppliers who pick up contracts to supply oils to various large users, often it is bassed on price and large quantities.

For ordinary blokes like us, sticking with the known brand pays.

For all the small jap diesels you need to be looking at one of the main stream diesel spec oils.

For all but the latest common rail, DPF equiped engines the three top candidates are

Mobil Devlac, Caltex Dello 400 and Shell Rimular, in a 15w40, there is very little seperating these 3, following them but only a little behind is Castrol RX super.

The top 3 may also meet the spec of some of the latest engines but rx super will not.

These oils are used in huge quantity by the trucking industry and can be had at a very good price if you buy in 20L drums and buy where the truckies do, and that means a diesel spares type shop of a fuel depot that services heavy transport.

Remember too they are all mixed fleet oils meet a wide range of spec and are great in petrol engines too.

You should be able to get any of the above mentioned oils for $100 a 20litre in the right place, sometimes considerably better.

Any local servo of the right brand should be able to get the 20's in but you will pay a premium.

Oh and don't be tempted to run a thicker oil thinking that it is better, 15w40 is the go.

cheers
AnswerID: 484129

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:51

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:51
Andrew.
I have been using Total in my 1HD-FTE for the past 2 years, prior to that in my 1HD-T for 4 years and with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
It is formulated in France and made in Singapore , the type I use is Rubia Tir 15w40
The API grade oil recommended for the 1 HD-T is CC,CD or better the API grade for the 1HDT-FE is CD,CE,CF or better.
With that in mind the API grade of the rubia tir is CI so that tells me there aint a problem with it !
I buy this product direct from the distributor with a 20 litre drum costing about the same as a 5 litre drum from your normal off the shelf "name" brand as previously explained.
Just as a bit of a comparison I also use a large amount of Hydraulic oil and Gear oil as well in my small operation here and have been using their product for 6 years in a VERY punishing industry with zero issues at all.
The prices I pay for their product is better than all your "name" brands hands down.
As your comment says "Just do it" you won't regret using it.
I must point out I am in no way connected to them just an extremely happy user of the product.
Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 484192

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 19:03

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 19:03
Thanks Paul...Rubia 15/40 was the one I'm looking at...it's what my mechanic is using so I wanted to be sure before it went in.

If it's CI rated then should be good for the 1HDFTE so tomorrow I'll be doing the change before a nice 200k run to Bunbury.

Will see how it goes.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 759426

Sponsored Links