VMS 700HD or new Nema HN6. Which to buy!!!

I have read threads on both navagators
Hema, good reports when comes to servicing and great maps. A bit complicated to use
I've been told and you have to use a stylis -pen.

VMS, more user friendly to use.Have spoken to a few suppliers of VMS re service
What Service!!!.

Need help to decide.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:14

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:14
Hi Grazz

I can only speak highly of the Hema, having a HN5. Why do you say they are complicated to work?

If you can use OziExplorer, then using the Hema in Ozi mode (the only mode that I use) is the same, dead easy. The only time I use a stylus is when in the finer details in the set up pages etc, but again that is easy and it is supplied as part of the package.

The new HN6 is out next week and I will be able to let you know what they are like, as mine will be arriving early next week.

As for service I can not comment, but when I rang Hema a couple of time on a couple of queries, their staff was very helpful and assuring. I have used the HN5 in many remote locations and it is no different than having a larger Netbook, or giant laptop that takes up valuable space in the front of the car.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484158

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:59

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:59
Agree, found it very easy to use and with good visibility.

Don't unplug the unit regularly though as the connector is the weakest link IMO

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 759393

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:41

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:41
Colin, I certainly agree about the fragility of the USB connector.Mine became electrically detached on the first trip so I soldered a cable directly to the circuit board. Having it operational was more important to me than warranty. For an off-road accessory it could be more rugged. I now have it built-in to a binnacle on top of the dash which shields incident light.

Otherwise, like you and Stephen I find it a good navigator.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 759406

Follow Up By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:41

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:41
Stephen

I to am in the market for new GPS and would be very interested in what you think of the NEW Hema HN6.
Cheers Vern
FollowupID: 759415

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:16

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:16
Hi Stephen
I would also be interested to hear what you think of the HN6
Thanks
Hillel
FollowupID: 759489

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 09:15

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 09:15
Hi Vern and Hillel

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but have a lot on the plate at the moment.

The new HN6 arrived Monday and to be very honest, sat in the box until this morning. I have just taken the new unit out into the back yard and fired it up. The unit is very easy to use and now with only 2 screen options, street navigation and OziExplorer. The bigger screen is great and if you were in a situation as what to purchase, go for the new 6" size.

My old HN5 will now be put back into the original box, and maybe I might even sell it, as the new 6" will be the way to go.

I have a busy weekend, but if time permits, I will get a few photos of the 2 units side by side so you can see for your self what they are like.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760052

Follow Up By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:07

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:07
Thanks for the update Stephen
I have one question to ask about the HN5 and also the HN6. I was in a 4by shop the other day and asked about the HN6 and the response I got from the chap working there ( which I know) stated that the city maps are crap. I am always a bit sceptical when some one makes a comment like this and like to ask other people their impressions.

So would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks in advance.
FollowupID: 760095

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:56

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:56
Hi Stephen
Thanks f or the update . Did you look at the VMS unit at all as you can also get it with OZI?

Regards
Hillel
FollowupID: 760140

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 14:37

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 14:37
Hi Vern and Hillel

Firstly to Hillel

To be honest, I never considered or have even seen the VMS unit, which would be a very good unit. I first looked at the Hema when they were first introduced as the 4.3" screen. I did hum and harm, but put it off, purely for the screen size, it was just too small. When the HN5 was released, I got one then and it has worked faultlessly over the years and now takes centre place over my Netbook. Now when the HN6 was mentioned to be released, I thought that the bigger screen would be even better, and that is the reason why I now have the HN6. There should be no reason why it does not perform like my old HN5, so time will be the test.

Now to Vern.

As for the four wheel drive shop saying what they did, that may be their thoughts. Yes with the Route 66, I did not like it at all personally, but others did. For that reason, I had brought a Nuvi for street navigation.

I think Hema did listened to consumer feedback and they gave Route 66 the flick in favour of iGo, which from all accounts is very good. It was out on the later HN5i, so it would be good to hear from someone that has used it.

The iGo must be very good, as with the quick start guide that is supplied with the new HN6, which is 126 pages in total, the first 18 pages are "Getting started", then pages 19 to 57 give you the brake down on the menus.

The next longest in depth section if for the use of iGo, and is 53 pages in total, so it is greatly improved from Route 66 and to be honest, the Garmin Nuvi was only a 4 page piece of paper. The Ozi or 4WD Navigation is only 15 pages in total.

So you can see from these stats, they have put a lot into the street navigation side, so it would be very unfair for me or even the 4WD shop to say it is crap and would be very unjustified. Yes I did have a very quick look at the street mode and looked very similar to the Garmin, but with a lot more features, including Camps 6 POI.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760167

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 14:52

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 14:52
I did have the earlier Blue Hema's and they were highly questionable with reliability and the Route 66 should have been sent back to the states as it did not understand Australia :-)

I now have the later HN5 with the iGO street mapping and it is infinitely better than the predecessor.

I always back any off-road navigation with the tried & trusted paper maps from Hema so the correlation between the 2 is good - as you would expect.

HTH

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 760169

Follow Up By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:50

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:50
Thanks Stephen for your report back, from what you have stated you have helped me make my mind up. I hope I can get one from the ExplorOz shop before we go away at the end of this month.

Cheers and thanks
FollowupID: 760213

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 12:57

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 12:57
Hi Stephen - thanks for all the info re the HN6 . I have just ordered my unit and look forward to useing it on our planned July trip to Simpson Desert.
Thanks again
Hillel
FollowupID: 760605

Reply By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:00

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:00
Hi there I am having the same trouble deciding -I like the size of the VMS but not sure how the screen is in sunlight on the dash-I tried a cheap import but gave up as it was impossible to read the screen. I am also wanting to see the new Hema 6 before deciding.
Regards
Hillel
AnswerID: 484163

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:12

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:12
some might find this an interesting thread , www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=128043

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484211

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:14

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:14
Hi there - link does not appear to be working.
Thanks
Hillel
FollowupID: 759486

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:26

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:26
sorry mate you will have to copy & paste to your search engine . its from the 4wdaction forum worth a read !!!
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 759491

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:17

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:17
For those who cant cut and paste :)

4WD Action Forum - HN discussion

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760606

Sponsored Links