laptop

Hello out there,
Can anyone give some advise as to whether you are able to recharge laptop while only on 12 volt power.
Cheers
BJ & Reen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:52

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:52
You can get a 12v adaptor for your car, have a search on eBay plenty of options. Personally I just use my small inverter if I need to charge back up.
AnswerID: 484282

Reply By: Colcam42 - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:56

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:56
Hello Bj, your best bet would be a small inverter and use your normal 240v input; wouldn't use too much more power and because most laptops run on voltages around 19v, twelve volts won't make it without an inverter. Full Sine wave inverter is best.

Col
AnswerID: 484284

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:49

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:49
For the most efficient use of the 12v power it is best to use a 12 dc to dc charger which, although it sounds like 12v only, it actually steps up the voltage and outputs dc at 19vdc.
Some of these are adjustable eg 15vdc up to 24vdc.
You can get them from Jaycar, mine is a Powertech and has a selector for 15,16, 18,19, 20, 22and 24vDC with a selection of plugs to suit various Laptops.

If you use an inverter to power the there is more cords etc and the inverter will draw a lot more amps to do what is effectively a double loss conversion of the 12v.
It will work but not the most efficient way.
Your choice, I have the option of both and use the 12vdc/dc19v converter by choice.
Just a warning with inverter use: not all switchmode power supplies for laptops will start on a normal Modified SIne wave inverter, more accurately, a modified square wave inverter.
This type of wave form is messy and chuncky and is usually not suitable for use with sensitive electrical equipment. It may work but WILL make it run hotter than normal, read burn out of powersupply is quite possible.
Full sine wave = no problem.
Your choice overall, both dc/dc and inverter have their place.

Ross M
FollowupID: 759538

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:27

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:27
You can get a 12v power supply that steps up to whatever voltage you need. No need to use an inverter.
AnswerID: 484293

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:32

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:32
Two options -

1) a small inverter, with a strong preference for a sine wave one.
2) a suitable 12V power supply. Your laptop will have a 240V one connected to the power chord, and you'll need a similar looking device to provide about 19V (usually) from the vehicle's 12V. Have a look at the specs printed on the present power supply; I'd expect about 19 volts at 3.5 amps. You are looking for something with similar specs, like this one. Similar ones are readily available from Jaycar, or listed on ebay.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484295

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:48

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:48
Hi. I use one of these for my Toshiba and it works brilliantly with very little power consumption. They have them for all makes. Bob.
Laptop power supply

AnswerID: 484297

Follow Up By: Bourney - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:59

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:59
Thanks for the lead on this Bob. Looks great to me so I ordered one straight away to suit my Acer. Regards, Peter
FollowupID: 759556

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 20:18

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 20:18
Your welcome Peter. Pretty sure I got the tip off this site last year. It fits in the bag with the laptop and is useable wherever there is a 12v socket. Truly convenient. Bob

FollowupID: 759557

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 18:21

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 18:21
I also use a 12 v power supply; easier to use and more power efficient than using an inverter. Best thing my inverter ever did was to die on me, and members here told me what to get.

Having lost the set of connections that came with it to fit various computers, it was cheaper to purchase another power supply from Deal Extreme. It hasn't arrived yet, but even if it doesn't work it only cost a few dollars compared 'o $79.95 for the one i have. Others who told me abut the DX one have had no problems with it.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484307

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:58

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:58
Kerio Adapter. Bought mine at Dick smith. Caters for all varieties of Laptop. Excellent.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484330

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 23:03

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 23:03
If you have only the one device to charge then a dedicated dc-dc converter is probably the way to go. However be careful on selection as there are some very cheap and dodgy ones available that can harm the batteries in your appliance.

If however you have a number of devices needing charging it may be preferable to use their original charger or power supply modules in conjunction with a small inverter, preferably pure sine wave. The inverter is then also available for the odd appliance that requires 230v ac.

If the charging process is carried out whilst the vehicle is driving then the issue of inverter efficiency is of no consequence.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 484331

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 07:22

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 07:22
I have used a Kerio adaptor on am IBM Thinkpad laptop. Excellent device.
I then upgraded to a Dell Inspiron and while the dc power source ran the laptop without problems, it would not charge the battery. This was due to the proprietary way in which the Dell input socket was wired. You could only use a Dell power pack to charge the battery.

I then sourced a Dell power pack that accepted either 240vac or 12vdc input, by changing the input lead but utilizing the same power module and this was very good, although the power pack is considerably larger than the Kerio adaptor.

I have since upgraded again to another Insiron, but couldn't find an AC/DC power pack for it.
So, back to an inverter using the original 240v power pack.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 484343

Sponsored Links