Question: Flash Cooking System

Has anyone used one of these?
I wonder if they fit into the standard sized vehicle cup holders, I think they may be a good thing for quick stop while on the road, but would see them as a bit hard to hold while travelling if they don't.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 23:02

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 23:02
A standard cup holder would be too small but you could transfer into a thermos cup that does fit after cooking/heating. Definitely the best on the market for safe lightweight camp cooking and fastest camp stove system to reach boiling point currently on the market. The cup holder size is a small problem weighed up against the advantages.

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 484410

Follow Up By: silkwood - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:07

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:07
Not quite the fastest boil time. The MSR Reactor is significantly quicker. It is also a large enough pot to use for two (the Jetboil isn't really for cooking, it's for making cups of tea and boiling water for freeze-drieds). Reactor not as stable as the Jetboil, though and significantly more expensive! Both great stoves for backpackers. The Reactor is unbelievably fast!

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Videos/Search-Results/Camping--backpacking/MSR-Reactor-vs-Jetboil/

(the guy in the video is wrong, heat exchangers on camping stoves were introduced by MSR over 10 years ago with their cook sets)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 759834

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:15

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:15
I'll vouch for MSR. I have been using a Whisper Lite for almost 10 years now and I thought it was the best but for my purposes (light pack hiking) I've switched to Jetboil.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759860

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 18:07

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 18:07
They look like a nice neat unit Kev, mind you a bit on the pricey side but if they do the job for you probably good value for money.

I wonder how they would go on cooking a bit of Cane Toad humble pie? I still have the recipe if you are interested & I reckon you will have a need for this delicacy very soon with winter coming on and I'm told it is an excellent tummy warmer. Cheers

AnswerID: 484463

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 18:14

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 18:14
Evening Cockroach ;)

I hear you made a mention in the latest EO Newsletter. Seeing as you are not needing the Brake Controller that the cockroaches failed to win you, IF which is a BIG IF they win the Series this year I'll pay for your Life Membership on EO ;)

GO The MAROONS

I may have to find one of those gadgets to check out in the flesh before I buy one, I think.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759735

Reply By: Julie S2 - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:37

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:37
We have the jetboil titanium, very very light weight. We are bushwalkers and use it on big treks. I have cooked freeze dried meals and heated all sorts of things on mine. No worries at all. The msr is too heavy for our needs. I think you can only get the titanium one over seas? Not too sure about that though. I would not use one in a cup holder as they are too thick. Just good to stop and it boils so fast you can't take your eyes off it.

AnswerID: 484816

Sponsored Links