Camping North Of Perth

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 13:30
ThreadID: 95215 Views:12730 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I used to enjoy heading up around Cervantes with the family camping and beach fishing.. Now we are told there is no overnight camping and no fires... Bummer........ Does anyone know where we can go camping/beach fishing with campfires? Really miss it... Prefer between Perth and Jurien area...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 14:12

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 14:12
gday Wayne

One place i know that is really popular is sandy cape, its about 10kms north off jurien. Its sign posted on the idian ocean drive. The only thing is with the campfires most places wont let you have one because a few idiots reck it for the rest of us. You can ring the shire of dandarigan i think it is, and speak to them. Long weekends you have to get there 1 or 2 days early because it fills up real quik. There is a longdrop dunny and thats it. We got there on a thursday before a monday long weekend and got the last spot, thats how popular it is, awsome spot though. There are a few 4wd tracks north and south of sandy cape but i havnt had a 4wd to explore them with but ive been told there is some nice quiet spota around the area. hope this helps. Camps 6 is a great book to get, worth the money.

trev
AnswerID: 484449

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 17:31

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 17:31
Hi Wayne,

Yes, I second the motion for Sandy Cape which is just past Jurien Bay. Track on your left about 20 clicks out of town. We went there recently and the main campsites were full so opted to explore some of the 4 x 4 tracks (left turn just after the info bay) and we found a magic spot between 2 peppy trees with the beach just a short stroll over the dunes behind us. There is also easy beach access with your rig around here if you prefer to park up on the beach to fish. We only saw 1 other vehicle that whole 3 days come past us even though the main campgrounds were full. Plenty of rigs on the beach though.Seek and ye shall find! With regards to fires, the spot that we found had evidence of a small fire place there but there are plenty of signs that warn against it. People obviously do but we weren't willing to risk a fine. Phone the ranger for clarification.

Another great spot that's much closer to Perth is the Wilbinga area. Lots of space here to find your own spot but again really busy long weekends. Have explored this area a lot recently and there are several access points off Wanneroo Road heading up towards Guilderton. There is a left hand turn just after the turn off to the Gravity Discover Centre and also access via the rest stop about 10 ks further up the road. It's quite a way in but it's a fun track though you'll need to drop your tyre pressures significantly as you get closer to the coast as the sand gets pretty soft. There's heaps of spots dotted along the dunes and the fishing is good. We were there last weekend and there were a few other people around but not crowded by any stretch. Everyone had fires going in the evening as well. One thing about this place though....please take your litter out with you. There are no bins around and I was horrified at the amount of rubbish in the dunes especially empty beer bottles. People that do this do not deserve to enjoy a place like this! We spent half an hour with a garbage bag cleaning up our spot so we could enjoy it without stepping on other "people's" rubbish! Enjoy but respect.

Have fun
AnswerID: 484459

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 01:59

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 01:59
Cruiser,
So you can still camp along this area. I was not sure of the status of this. Few mates and I are taking our kids away in May and this could be a better stop than having to go to Sandy Cape. I would have thought they would have gone sign mad in this spot by now considering how far north Perth is going.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 759790

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 02:32

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 02:32
Hi David and Michelle,

I would have thought so too but we went there on the Easter Weekend for a drive to check it out. Got there early evening on the Friday and there were heaps of people comfortably set up right on the beach and in the dunes. There was one group with about 5 vehicles and the full set up it was pretty impressive. Everyone had campfires going as well. I did not see any signs on the way in saying you could not camp. Went back there last weekend and stayed on the Saturday night...was pretty windy in the evening but dropped off. Would definitely go back but finding a good spot is a bit hit and miss given the close proximity to Perth though if you take the time to explore you're bound to find something. I found the Hema app useful on my iPhone to log waypoints and mark good spots to stay in the future but I'm sure you're already kitted out with all that gaff anyway! Good Luck
FollowupID: 759792

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:12

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:12
I checked with the shire recently regarding camping at Wilbinga and they say it's a No No.
Regular patrols are being conducted (although I've driven there heaps of times and never seen one) and fines will be levied against campers.
Registration numbers and other identifiers such as pics are also taken.
Cheers.
Alan.
FollowupID: 759810

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:27

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:27
Hi Alan,

I find this interesting as there are no signs anywhere along the way (correct me if I'm wrong please) at any of the entrance points making you aware of this. If the shire had come through at Easter they would have made a fortune as the dunes and beaches were packed with campers.

There are no warnings anywhere saying this is not allowed and until such times as there are I will continue to enjoy the area and camp there. If I am fined I will contest it. The shire sees fit to put signs up everywhere else you go saying you can't do this or that which is fair enough but it is then not unreasonable to assume that when you do not see signs that camping is in fact OK. It has to be across the board.

Also, if the shire were doing regular patrols there would not be half as much litter there from people who have obviously been camping there for quite some time. They probably just say they are to deter you from going in there but are likely too busy (or lazy) to enforce it.

I will not accept a fine where there is no clear and visible information outlining that you will be fined if you camp. No one would pay a parking fine if they got pinged for parking somewhere where a "no parking" sign was visible so this should not be any different.

Thanks for the follow up.

Craig
FollowupID: 759812

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:36

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:36
I believe you may be right there Craig, as generally there are signs every where for everything, virtually where ever we go!
It may just an office girls interpretation of something she's heard from the office gossips.....
Happy camping.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 759813

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:49

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:49
What Shire is Wilbinga in? From the coastal Shires north of Perth, information has been that Sandy Cape is the only permitted campground on the coast. There is also Lake Indoon, but not beach and not cheap.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759840

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 18:32

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 18:32
Gin Gin Shire I'm certain.......at least that's who I rang about camping.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 759841

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:32

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:32
Hi Alan and thanks. Gingin advised me (query to Shire passed on to Tourism Association) that there is no free camping permityed in the Shire, and the only camping permitted is in the commercial caravan parks, including a couple of farm stay types of CPs.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759845

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:04

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:04
I reckon they ought to stick a sign up at the most popular entries north and south to advise people of this, but as I'm always moaning about the "do this, don't do that" signs everywhere, maybe they shouldn't!
Happy camping.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 759846

Reply By: WAYNE M5 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:53
Thanks all.....
I've got an idea that could very well suit everyone including the shires... If you have an area like "Cervantes" or "Wilbinga" that is suitable for generations of camping, 4WD and fishing, why not then set up a program whereby you pay for a "stamp" or "sticker" from the respective shire(even by web or mail).. For this stamp/sticker you get information from the shire which would include warnings about littering, protection of flora and fauna, creating a "safe" fire, etc.. Then the word gets out to all on do's and don'ts, the money you pay goes towards policing the area, and after signage is posted if you are caught camping there without going throuh the shire and paying a small fee, that you can then be fined by the shire.. That way even people doing the right thing could report those trashing the place or any other improper behavior.

I'd give $20.00 or even more for this as long as the shire was making an effort to be realistic and supportive...

I was fishing up in Cervantes after the signage went up there. Met one of the hoteliers on the beach and he thought it was the biggest load of crap he had ever seen in all his years.. To my knowledge he's still in there fighting for us.. Best of luck to him. I'd like to return to the hills/dunes around Cervantes one day with my family, my fishing rods, and some fire wood to get cozy for an evening or two... Memories!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 484577

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 00:42

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 00:42
Sounds like a great idea Wayne. It's something I would be a part of also. I will no doubt have a few punters disagree with me but I for one will always at least consider breaking the "rules" where I feel those "rules" are not realistic. I grew up living between Perth and Margaret River for the first 20 years of my life and spent a significant portion of my 20's and 30's overseas. I have been home in WA now for 6 years and quite frankly I am growing sick and tired of signs, rules and restrictions and limitations. I was in Hyde park the other day and saw a sign under a tree that said "Beware - nuts may fall from this tree without notice" I mean really?! What? Should we have been expecting there to be someone up there waiting to alert us of a possible falling nut? Ridiculous.

My point is that if I am keeping to myself, not littering, not lighting fires in dangerous conditions and being responsible in an area I'm not supposed to camp then I will camp there. If thats at risk of a fine then so be it. Rules...to a degree are made to be broken. I love WA it is my home but the whole nanny state thing is getting out of control.

FollowupID: 759868

Sponsored Links